Jackshaft Problem

boosted89SC

Whats up guys! Just got my first SC today. Its a 89 silver Auto.
Its got 79k, got it for $2500, But its got a problem, The jackshaft pulley and shaft, shake, its got like an 1/8 inch of play, makes some serious noise, (convinced him it was the cam berings) Anyway i cant get a book till tuesday, im trying to find a diagram for the jackshaft assembly. No luck searching the forum, I didnt get much time today to really get a good look, It lookes like i got to take off the ac condenser to get to it. Anybody know what i got to do? Is the jackshaft just like an idler? do i need to replace the whole unit or just the berrings? Any help you can give would be great. Thanks

dont undo the AC lines, just unbolt the ac comrpessor, DIS module, belts etc. IF you can, just buy a used bracket before-hand.

buy a used what bracket? Jackshaft? I havent seen what it is im looking at yet, is it just a bracket holding a shaft? Do you think i can reuse the bracket and rebuild whatever went wrong? Thanks for the help

You could rebuild it if you can find the no longer made bearing packs, or you could by the bracket assembly off me :) email me at hornebrian@hotmail.com

It is a whole bracket assembly, with a pressed in bearing pack.

plus pressing the old bearing requires a 50 ton press(only costs a few grand , or try to find one:p ), a 20 ton wont cut it. If the bearing is pressed out wrong(by placing pressure on the shaft) it will create a flat-spot on the bearings causing an instant rattle/rumble as soon as its started up:D

*EDIT I meant pressed in not out:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyone know where i can get a new one besides Ford and Greensales? Think a part store could get one? I know im not gonna find one in a junk yard around here. This frigin thing is stopping me driving my sc, I still never got to drive it! Thanks for all your help guys

Lol , No you wont find one at your local parts store and ford will be able to find you one for 720.00 and you'll laugh like I did and tell him to shove it, then you can buy mine. I got the whole assembly you need, all you goto do is email me.

Here's a link to a post I made about replacing the only the bearings:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=59753

I have not actually tried the replacement, but was in email contact with some who did. I cannot verify that you will need a 50 ton press to get the bearings out.

If you do attempt to replace the bearings, please post and let us know how it turns out. More and more of these things will fail and there won't always be used ones to buy!

Back