Will B&M shifter preserve my tranny? Also, ? about the transmission mount

JAFO

1)My 5 spd's in pretty good shape, and I'd like to keep it that way. Would swapping in the B&M shifter preserve it (synchro's etc), or would it just feel better shifting? I'd rather buy a shifter now than rebuild something later.

2)Also, a guy once told me that I should have matching motor mounts and transmission mount. That is, if my motor mounts are hydraulic, I should replace the transmission mount with one also. Said only to use solid rubber if I use it in both places. I replaced 1 motor mount with the stock one since the other mount was fine. I have no idea if there's anything to this or not. Surely the hydraulic ones don't allow that much movement. Should I stick to hydraulic for the transmission?

Thanks

Last edited:
the old worn bushings in the stock shifter will wear the trans faster and over time the the bushings turn into powder and clog the shaft oil passages. The only downside to the ripper is the stiffer feel(longer stick or shifter handle will fix that if needed).

Always make sure the tran mount is weaker(or same stiffness) than the engine mount

solid metal engine mount & metal trans mount
hydraulic engine mount & hydraulic trans mount
solid rubber engine mount & hydraulic trans mount

the worst you can do is a solid steel trans mount and hydraulic engine mounts, this will break the tail-housing under a hard shift

Back