IRS Bushings

fastsc92

OK.....I have my rear suspension apart. Rear end is out getting new gears, i got new rear end bushings from MN12. I also am making new rear knuckle bushings on a CNC machine at school. I can draw them on cadd and program it it to cut them on the lathe. So that should save me $160 for ones just like the MN12 kit. Also i have new S/T springs being installed while its all apart. Now, I want to stop wheel hop. I did everything so far.....but i need to do the IRS subframe bushings. Which ones do i do. I heard only do three of them? I'll make these out of solid poly bushings and ditch the rubber ones. But which ones do i do? Also...should i replace the bushings that attach the control arms to the subframe? These will be much harder to make, and i cant find anyone who makes these bushings. Are they worth changing? I think with everything i'm going to do...wheel hop should be a thing of the past. What do you think?

Wheel hop, oh the wheel hop. The only concern with it is so we can smoke our tires.....

But yes, I want to stop it as well.

First, Mannysc has the idea of the changed subframe bushings. But you loose some ride quality. So I'm still working on another idea that I had a few years ago. Some sort of trainling or leading link that limits the travel of the subframe carrier in the fore/aft range.

It's just a mental theory right now but if I could add mount that is flexible in the up and down motion but static in the fore/aft direction, I might be able to isolate the subframe from inducing wheel hop, and still maintain a rubber isolated ride quality.

If you've got the time and equipment, you might want to consider it as well.

That said, I would think if you are going to do 3, you would want to isolate the drivers side rear wheel, so put it on the front and back on the drivers side , and front on the passenger side.

But check around with MannySC to verify how he had it setup. Thus far I believe he's the only person to try modified bushings yet.

good luck.

Ya i read previous posts about it, but i'm still a little confused on what exactly he did. Also...what should i do about the inner control arm bushings.....the ones that attatch the arms to the frame?

Back