Blower Whine

Billabong089

This is an odd question but who doesn't love a blower whine? :)

I was wondering if there was anyway to make the whine louder? Would doing intake work make the whine more hearable? I already got a K&N but its not a big one and I was thinking about getting a bigger one.

Also my highbeams don't go on ( stay on option ) and sometimes my headlights don't go on until I do a quick flash of the high beams, so I figure its the headlight switch thats common on these cars, I'm just wondering whats the part number and if installition is easy?

Last edited:
i second that!

i totally wanna know the same thing dude, i would really like to hear my blower whine! i have 3 flowmasters which sound awsome, but cannot hear the blower. people think i am runnin a V8! i have already removed the silencer, but is there anything else i can do short of driving around with my hood off?

thanks

Whine...

Cone filter, removed silencer and overdrive supercharger pulley helps. Some people cap off the bypass, which results in more boost and whine.
Stas.

the boost bypass works off of manifold vacuum. when you accellerate, vacuum drops and the door closes which gives you boost. but if you unplug it, i have a feeling something might POP.
any other suggestions?

thanks

I was at apten performance/stiegemeier to get a chip-dyno tune.And David Neibert was there
on the dyno.I stood behind his SC it sounded like a jet engine was in his SC.
IT WAS ASOME.

Last edited:
well if you look at the blower and take of the top..Youll see teh main opening and two slits...The slits are their to silence the blower whine....Sooo.....

Randy,

Thanks for the nice compliment, but if you think mine is loud you should hear Chris Wise's. More of a shreik than a whine.

David

ok damon, i take off the top and do what? i would really like to hear the whine! whatever i have to do! well, short of pushin max boost and blowin a head gasket.

tbsc9038,

If your looking for more blower whine, install a ZR or MAC fresh air intake. Welding the slots shut isn't something you should attempt unless you have some way to control warpage. Besides, it will make all the noise you can stand with the slots open.

David

how much does the ZR or MAC intake cost? what does it take to install? any other thoughts? or something i can walk out in the parkin lot and do right now?

also, earlier in this thread, someone said something about disconnecting the air bypass? what if any , wil that hurt the motor? anyone else try this?

thanks
aaron

Go to supercoupeperformance.com or magnumpowers.com to see a picture of the intake. Takes about ten minutes to install. Well worth the money and makes the whine come to life.

David,
I am in the process of porting a spare blower I have and I am interested in hearing about what removing the two slots will do. I was planning on porting the top of the case to Magnum Powers specs. Would it be possible to remove the material all the way to the two slots and still gain some power or is that too much material to remove? If I were to remove to two slots would the blower be super loud?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick,

I've read that the slots in the blower are there to release a portion of the air in advance of the main opening to make the supercharger quieter. I have seen them welded shut on the latest generation of ESM's blower and couldn't hear any differince when the car was on the dyno or the track.

It would seem that the slots are benificial towards flowing more air, but I don't really know for sure. Opening the main "V" all the way to the first slots will hurt performance and should not be done. Very little porting is done on the top side, the real improvements needed are on the inlet side. Getting the largest opening possible positioned as high into the path of the rotors, is where most of the improvement comes from.

The MP inlet plenum is a bonus, allowing much more air into the supercharger than the stock plenum. It doesn't do much good to install larger throttle bodies and maf units if the plenum is a smaller diameter. At it smallest point the stock inlet plenum is only 65mm.

The blower sound (whine) your able to hear most is from the intake pipe. I think a steel intake pipe works like a musical instrument to amplify the sound coming from the spinning rotors on the intake side of the supercharger.

Arron,

The bypass hose mod is done by removing the vacuum hose that connects the intake plenum on the back of the supercharger to the intake manifold adaptor. Pulling it off and plugging the ports will prevent a small amount of boost from leaking back to the suction side of the intake.

I found that it made the bypass overly sensitive and engaged the super charger by barely pressing the gas pedal. The constant whinning was very annoying especially going up hills, it sounded like it was low on powersteering fluid. After a month I re-attached mine.

I've also heard that the hose was designed to insure that the supercharger doesn't cavitate (starve for air). That doesn't make much sense to me. Either way it was just to noisy for my taste.

David

A Blow off valve isn't needed with the bypass valve we already have. They are used mainly to prevent over boosting between shifts with a turbo.

David

Back