exhaust?

94-5speed16

hello,
I'm goin to be putting money into performance for my 94 sc and i decided the first thing i want to do is totally replace the exhaust, headers and everything. I'm planning on running true duels 2.5'' stainless steel, no cats and flowmaster mufflers. I know a guy who will install headers and make the rest of the exhaust the way i want it for $350, but i gotta supply the mufflers. I thought it sounded like a good deal. But the only thing i need to figure out is what to do about the headers. I don't want to spend $600 on a pair of header so buying kooks is out of the question. Now i can either buy a pair of mustang headers off someone here on the board or spend a little more money and buy the Mac shortie headers. Would the extra $200 really be worth buying mac's? Plus i'd have to mess up the coating by hitting it with a hammer to get it to fit right. I also don't want the car to sound like a rice burner, which is what is sounds like a little bit right now with the mufflers and resonator out. I'v heard that with no resonator that's what these cars sound like, but i figure with free flowing headers and some good old flowmasters running true duels it should sound pretty good. If you have any input please let me know

thanks dan

The only thing that comes to my mind is LOUD! Are you sure you want to run without cats or a resonator. It will be extremely loud inside your car. If that's what you want, then by all means go for it. It will flow good. As far as headers, you could always just port the stock ones. Until you reach pretty high HP numbers, headers aren't going to do a whole lot of good anyway.

Thomas

Yes it probably will be loud. From what i'v heard the first thing you want to do is get the air out of the car. I don't want to risk blowing a head gasket, but i also will not be able to put alot of mods on my car to get alot of hp so maybe i'll just go with my stock headers as is and run that system. Or see if he can port them also. Isn't all you have to have to port them is some die grinders?

thanks
dan

Porting

Take the headers to a machine shop for the porting. Until you push 350+ horses you don't need anything else. Getting rid of the resonators is the best thing you can do for the flow. A machine shop here in Ca did my headers for $80.
Ed

A new resonator isn't going to cause you backpressure issues like the stock parts. I'd throw a good resonator in there to keep the volume under control and give the engine a nice tone.

You can see if Tbird88 would be willing to talk with your guy on the porting of the manifolds. He has porting the stockers figured out real well. But my guess is you could have Tbird88 do them for you and have it cost less than the labor of your guy messing around figuring it out.

If you're planning on just taking it easy on the mods, ported stock manifolds should be more than enough.

Back