installing B&M Shifter

94-5speed16

hello,
I bought a used B&M shifter and i was goin to put it in the other day if i had time and i found out i didn't. I took the two screws in the arm rest out and pulled the shifter panel out to discover a metal plate covering the shifter. Instead of just trying to figure out myself how to do it and possibly screwing something up i figured i'm put up a post and find out exactly how to do it. So if you can give me a detailed discription of how to install it please let me know, i want to get it in asap then i'm goin to buy a hurst grip shifter for the extra look and feel.

thanks
dan

You need to unbolt that plate and take it off. There should be 2 bolts on the back of it that may be kinda hidden, I think you need to unbolt the E-brake handle to get to them. I think there are 2 bolts in the front of it too, I dont remember where though.

Travis

There are as earlier said, 2 bolt in front of the rubber and 2 behind it they need to come out to remove the cover, then there are 4 bolts holding the shifter to the trans pull those and lift the old shifter out. The new one can only go in one way so you can't screw it up.

The 89 should have the rubber cover which is connected to the metal plate, unless someone cut it out (mine is but I will be replacing it).

need help!

I need help, i'm in the process of puttin the shifter right now but i'm stuck. The old shifter won't lift out of place. It won't budge one bit. I see it's sealed on there but i still can't get it out, if you know anything let me know

thanks
dan

Put the handle back on if it isn't already and pull like hell. Just don't whack yourself in the forehead when it comes out:)

Or get it pryed up if you can...They can be stubborn to get loose. Don't be afraid to put some force on it.

I got it. I tried prying and pulling forever, then i decided to get a hammer. And the only hammer i could find was one of those hand held sledge hammers, go figure. But after a wack or two she came right off. I like the shifter, it seems to take like half the length to shift gears which is pretty sweet. It didn't really do much about the notchiness though but i'll be bleeding the clutch soons so maybe that'll help

Are there stops that need to be adjusted on this thing or are the stops in the tranny itself? Used to the old Hurst shifters which mounted externally to the trans (the only B&M shifters I ever used/installed were for auto trans).

nope no stops. i think it kinda sucks that it dosent. some say that there are stops in the tranny. i dont know. ya i remember the old hurst. i wish hurst made a shifter for our cars, but they dont.

nope no stops. i think it kinda sucks that it dosent. some say that there are stops in the tranny. i dont know. ya i remember the old hurst. i wish hurst made a shifter for our cars, but they dont.

Thanks - I guess if theyre not in the factory shifter either then they must be internal to the trans. I'll take a good look at the old shifter when I pull it out that &/or I'll do some research with the shop manual.

Back