Sudden acceleration problem HELP!!!!

Denis

I have just had my vehicle serviced. My right engine mount was replaced and my EGR tube. The engine runs great but it has developed a sudden acceleration problem which is freaking me out.

If the RPM's are at or below 1000, if I tap the throttle the RPM's will shoot to over 2000 and sometimes as high as 3000. What is really scary is that the car keeps pulling after I take my foot off the gas. The shop who did the work aren't familiar with the SC and I know they will be puzzled by this.

Has anybody encountered this before? Could this be boost related?

Your help is appreciated and I hope I solve this before I drive over something or someone.
Den:confused:

Check the TV cable at the throttle linkage.. The TV cable is the one running to the transmission.. betcha its flopping around loose and the only cable you have hooked up is the cable running to the gas pedal.

No TV cable on a 5 speed

It is only on the AOD. But, you probably should take a look at the linkage on the throttlebody. The return spring may be "hung up" on something. A little WD-40 on the linkage works wonders.....

Denis said:

If the RPM's are at or below 1000, if I tap the throttle the RPM's will shoot to over 2000 and sometimes as high as 3000. What is really scary is that the car keeps pulling after I take my foot off the gas. The shop who did the work aren't familiar with the SC and I know they will be puzzled by this.

It's my pet peave... but what shop needs to be familiar with an SC to figure out a stuck throttle? The only way you can get increased engine speed sufficient to actually drive the vehicle requires the throttle plate to open, or a massive air leak. If they can figure it out on a Briggs & Straton engine, they can figure it out on the SC.

Arrggg.. these mechanics.

Check the throttle linkage to ensure it is free to move and that when they did the EGR they didn't route something in the way.

Back