8.8" IRS Pinion brace for Cobras - can this be used on an SC???

MN12 KID

IRS Pinion Support Brace ('99-'01 Cobras)

IRS Pinion Support Brace - Ties the pinion end of the differential housing firmly to the IRS subframe, stopping the pinion motions that cause wheel hop.

irs-brace.gif

I don't beleive we have the same bracket on the diff. ours has a slot at the rear that accepts the diff. I can look tomorrow when I swap my diff out.

theid

Does the diff bolt to the subframe, or to the unibody?

Haven't been under there yet.

But if what some have found is true, it really is an issue of the whole subframe moving. And it's caused by the force applied to it by the rear wheel knuckles as the wheel tries to move forward when under power. The pinion is going to impart a twisting motion, not a fore/aft motion.

It might help, but I can't imagine that it fully would remove it, unless it's bolting up such that it's part is able to imobilize the fore/aft movement of the subframe.

ouch, theories hurt my head.

Found some installed pictures... I don't think it will help all that much. It's just making the diff more solid to the subframe. But if the problem is the subframe moving, what, it uses the driveshaft to isolate subframe movement? Not ideal I wouldn't think.
http://www.apiem.com/cobra/IRSBrace.html

Last edited:
I know Kenny Brown makes a rear torsional load brace for the differential, but I'm not sure how effective it would be against wheel hop - just figured the Cobra IRS brace might be compatible, since they're both 8.8". All research and feedback is appreciated.

Back