hot running M5R2

HOT???

How exactly do you know that it is running hot. Do you have a guage or how did you come to this conclusion.

An engine getts hot doesnt it, its just like saying i'm cooling the motor with 5 quarts of oil, why can't they just use tranny oil in automatics. And the little ole M5R2 just gets hi-temp oil to cool it down. What kind of temp guage should i use for my tranny and how would i instale it? And why dont they make cooling components for 5 sp's, or do they they make them for automatics

What???

Five speed shouldn't be getting hot, there is nothing to really get as hot as an auto. You have gears and bearings, little pins and so on. There are no internal clutches or anything to slip like in an automatic. And the SC manual transmission uses normal ATF, with some of Fords friction modifer to help the syncros. I personaly use Mobil 1 in mine. Again what is making you think that the tranny is running hot, how do you know that it is running hot. You don't even know what temperature range it should run in nor did you list what temperature yours was running. I think we are all a bit confused about what you are talking about. I just don't understand why you think it is running hot. Of course the fluid will be hot becasue of the moving parts inside the tranny, just like if you feel your motor oil it will be hot even though the engine is not overheating. If you could please tell us what in the world you are talking about then maybe we could help you. Does your tranny have gear oil in it instead of automatic tranny fluid??? That might make it run hotter than one with ATF in it. Just explain what you are talking about.

Just install a shifter gasket and the heat won't bother you anymore, then you can concentrate on cooling your u-joints.

Vernon

LOL

and those damn muffler bearings that are a nightmare to change on these Supercoupes and XR-7's. I know we have all had to change them at least once. Next time I will pay the 400 dollar labor charge that Ford asks. hey, also what can i do to cool my glove box down, it is way too hot

Everybody knows that about half a dozen freeze plugs will cool down a overheating glove box. You can get them at any part house. What I have yet to figure out is how to cool my head light bulbs down. Last time I changed one my fingerprints came off and I couldn't see for two days.

Vernon

LOL

I had that same problem so i just started using nylon gloves when touching my bulbs, problem solved. But now i need to know how to get the melted glove off of them???? And thanks for the tip on the freeze plugs, worked great, now the glove box keeps my ice cube trays frozen.

LOL you guys.........too funny....

and for the mislead fellow, your manual tranny when properly filled wont ever get at a higher temp then your engine block. so cooling it any lower is just assinine. now if your running 200 mph for hours at a time then get a pump, and run a cooler. It draws out the bottom plug and squirts in the top one. ANd over filling it may lead to oil frothing up, which then wont do its job as good and may actaully make the tranny hotter. I wouldnt even think twice about it. Just make sure its full, and concentrate on your cars cooling system.

the guy that instaled the new engine put dextron fluid in it and the tranny wasent working properly, the shifts seem to rough through every gear, so i put gear oil in it and it seem to run a lot better except the 3rd syncro. but after i drive for awhile it starts shifting rough again thats what i was talking about

It is

It is basicly the same stuff that you put in the rear end of the car. Costs 3 bucks at ford. You can also go to a local parts store and get the rear end addative, only use 4 ounces though.

there is nothing heat can do to a manual transmission, the softest metal in it is aluminum which the casing is made of, and that can take a considerable amount of heat. Find out what fluid actually goes in there. ATF is the most common because its a lightweight oil. If you put a rear end oil in there it wont allow the synchronizers to get past the blocking rings as easy and itll make it hard if not impossible to shift. The problem your probably having with the 3rd synchro is probably caused by someone grinding the gear too many times and the teeth of the blocking ring are rounded or its just plain worn out. Im not sure why you would add friction modifier to a manual :confused: Also in an automatic transmission the clutch packs and band(s) by themselves only creates about 5% of the heat in an automatic, the torque converter makes the other 95%. and if you install a tranny cooler on a automatic make sure it runs thru the stock cooler AFTER the aftermarket cooler so the moisture in the fluid boils off. If you dont its very possible it could ruin your transmission due to the fact that the clutches use a paper material as the friction surface. You do know what water does to paper dont you? :p

Last edited:
i went to ford and they looked up in a manual they that my tranny called for 90w gear oil, so the closest thing i could find was 80W90, so i put that in and it shifts easier than the dextron fluid that was in there. when i bought my B&M shifter it came with 3 qrts of B&M synthetic trick shift oil, and it says its for automatic transmissions, so i'm not sure if i should put that in there.

Back