code 212

ben m

i got this code finally. it started showing up after my did went bad and my car hasn't been the same since. it says my SPOUT wire is grounded or my ECU or PCM or whatever you want to call it isn't getting a tach signal. anybody had to deal with this before? i can't go more than half throttle without my car going crazy, like its running out of gas. this is like my 3rd post and each time i get a little closer to fixin' it. it's not a vacuum leak any where and its not my plugs or the wires. if you know what a SPOUT wire is or where its at or what it does please help! thanks a bunch.
ben m.

SPOUT - The Ford Spark Output (SPOUT) signal comes from the ECA and indicates to the ignition module when to fire the next spark plug. The exact timing is calculated on the basis of inputs form all othe computer's sensors
If its not getting a proper signal itll do the best it can. it sounds like its getting something of a signal which means the wire is probably intermittently grounding or something equally as annoying. im not sure if you have a tachometer but, depending on where the tach gauge itself gets the signal from it could kill the SPOUT signal if its shorted. I would get a good wiring diagram for the ignition system and trace the spout wire from the module to the computer and check it for chafing and whatnot. If your tach is acting weird, try unplugging it, if its shorted the car should run fine, if not nothing will change. i had a 91 ranger with the dis module that has a plugin on each side (looks like pigtails) go bad, and the ignition ground for the module to the computer go bad and actually not start, it was a vicious demon to kill. That particular ground fed a few other circuit grounds. i never did find where the wire was bad after spending 3 hours chasing the wire so i cut, t'd and grounded the wire to the frame, the truck fired up and everything was hunky dory. yours could just be something easy. :D

Last edited:
cool, thanks for the info. im so sick of this problem, i think i'll take it in to a mechanic who specializes in electronic demons:D unless of course the price is astronomical!

Back