Rear-end gear install

fastsc92

OK i got new 3.27 gears for my 5 speed. I also got an installation kit. I need some info on setting them up right. I have the tool to measure the pinion clearance but not sure exactly what to do. Do i put the bearing on the pinion with no shim....measure it up...then install the shims? Also...what is the right clearance. I have a dial indicator set-up..but i dont know what the reading should be. If anyone has a step-by step instructions that would be great...just to give me an overview on how to do it. Thanks again guys...oh ya one more thing...how much and what wieght gear lube do i need?

If you are going to do this yourself at home I would recommend just buying the Ford Service Manual. I believe it has a rundown on how to set the gears up properly.

fastsc92 said:
OK i got new 3.27 gears for my 5 speed. I also got an installation kit. I need some info on setting them up right. I have the tool to measure the pinion clearance but not sure exactly what to do. Do i put the bearing on the pinion with no shim....measure it up...then install the shims? Also...what is the right clearance. I have a dial indicator set-up..but i dont know what the reading should be. If anyone has a step-by step instructions that would be great...just to give me an overview on how to do it. Thanks again guys...oh ya one more thing...how much and what wieght gear lube do i need?
From what I've heard over the past year or so, this is <b>ONE</b> of the jobs that you leave for the professional to do.........if your just off slightly your will get either get a nasty growl or you will grind them to bits over time! I would suggest to take it to a shop that has a history of giving quality service......

Cheeers,
Calvin

well i have all the tools to do it. I have a pinion clearance tool, and a backlash tool for the ring gear. I just dont know what the dial should read, and what i should shim the pinion up to.

someone told me that it would be stamped on the pinion gear. But these are ford motorsports 3.27's and i do see them on there. hmm.....back to the dealer again.

stock ford gears dont have specs written on them becuase they are all machined within thousandths of an inch between each other. IF you really want you can just assume the pinion depth is the same from one another since you are going from one Ford gear to another, I personally have never had to swap an OEM Ford pinion shim.

What you need is any Ford shop manual that has drivetrain information for a mid/full size car/truck that comes equipped with an 8.8. Im sure someone here can scan a few pages off that manual

http://www.tavia.com/05001_instructions.html

Last edited:
thanks..that should help a lot....i have almost the same tool. Can anyone scan those pages in the ford book if they have a chance???

Back