tach problems

91thundercoupe

hey guys,

I just bought my 91 sc. it has a new engine with some things done to it. my problem is with the tach. it seems to work fine for the first while that i drive (aprox 5-10 mins) but after that it just goes to aprox 3600 rpm and sits there. Its parked for the winter so i only got to drive it home but i'd like to get it working right b4 i take her out for summer. also its an auto, i dont know if that will make a differance.

thanks for the help guys,

Matt

Hi, Matt.

I don't want to alarm you but I had the tach in my Ford Ranger do that when I bought it. I check codes and connections. It would go to 3600 and sit there when I turned on the key and didn't budge when the engine started. It would rev higher if I pushed it but not much. I bought a new tach from Ford and all is fine. I think the tach gets fried if sometimes someone connects battery cables on the wrong posts while trying to jump start it from another vehicle. This is one theory. I hope this isn't the case for you but I thought I would mention it anyway. Sorry and good luck.

Matt, the tachometer for my Ranger was $80.38. It's lists for $89.31. I want to mention that if you go this route, it can possibly be done without removing the instrument cluster. I pulled the cluster out of the Ranger only to find that if you remove the small screws that hold the clear lens in place, you can then just pull the tachometer out of the cluster. There are prongs on the back that slide into clips in the cluster. I didn't have to unplug and remove the cluster, ...that speedo cable was a mother. The same may be true with the SuperCoupes. You just have to be careful not to drop the little screws that hold the lens in place. Also...DISCONNECT THAT BATTERY. :) The new tachometer just pops back into place and you reinstall the clear lens cover. The 90 thunderbird manual says to remove the cluster so I'll leave that up to you. If you are patient and careful, it won't be a problem. Once the outer instrument trim is off, you will be able to tell if you can just unscrew the plastic lens cover.

Good luck.

Back