HELP!! a chatter and a broken dipstick

sabre81

i was driving home, decided to give it a little gas off a light and about 5 min down the road i heard a chatter. This chatter speed/loudness increased and decreased in sync with the rpms. i got home check oil and found the end of the dipstick was ripped off and bent! there was no hatch marks.. what happened? Car still has plenty of power and there are no other problems.

OH BOY THAT CANT BE GOOD

Was it badly bent before cause im thinking it got caught in the crank or something. mabe drain your oil and go in there with a magnetic stick. hopefully its at the bottom of your pan.

i dont think it was bent
whats the chance of it being in the oil pan as opposed to it being in a place that would require my engine being torn apart?

thanks

In order to get the oil pan off you will have to raise your motor. While you have it up you may as well do motor mounts.

I would try getting it out through the oil drain plug if you can. I've never pulled the oil filter off of the SC so I don't know how much room you have there to try to get it either. I've always had mine changed at quick-lube places.

That sucks!

Bob

My XR7 had a broken dipstick when I got it last year. It was missing about the bottom 6 inches. Eventually I got around to buying another one and it lasted a whole three days before it got broken off at about the same spot. I may have noticed a little squeaking but nothing to set off alarm bells and it wasn't until I checked the oil that I thought about the squeaking being related.

Anyway I got another dipstick but I keep it out of the engine unless I'm actively checking the oil. I use the broken on to plug the dipstick tube.

That makes at least one and maybe two sections of dipstick in the oil pan for this car. I have put 75,000 miles on it since I got the car and probably 30K since the one I bought broke off.

Back