Crank Pulley

93SC

My understanding is that you have to have the crank pulley zero balanced when you are replacing your Harmonic balencer. Does anyone know where I can get this done? I can’t find anyone around here that will do it. On the other hand if I’m wrong please let me know.

Thanks

I talked to two or three. They all said that they needed the crank to balence the pulley. I told them that all I needed was the pulley balenced to zero. But they said that their machine needed the whole setup.

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=33.topic

I'm not real sure that I agree with this mainly because when you buy a balancer they come with the pulley (at least for 89-93) and pins already installed. To me this would indicate that the pulley and balancer are balanced as a unit. So if you are replacing the balancer, and it did have a final dynamic balance at the factory then all bets are off anyway since this is a completely different (as in balance) setup anyway. I was speaking to Vernon a few weeks ago about the problems he had years ago with breaking balancers when he switched to a neutral balanced pulley (underdrive). He said that the car ran rough (balance not missing or anything like that), and it wasn't until he pulled all the pins from the balancer that it went away. This was after breaking about 3 different balancers. He's still using the same balancer (though "using" is thrown around loosely since the trans is locked up).

Jeff

I guess it looks like I'm going for underdrives then. I didn't really want to, but its the only thing that will get my car back on the road soon.

Back