v6's

blackstallion94

I have a 1994 sc and i have been seeing alot of GM v6 competition on the road like the bonneville ssei or what ever the 3.8 supercharged version is and v6 cameros, and if anyone has raced one i would like to know how you faired.

yeah the camero v6's are weak and would be an easy win for a SC but the ssei bonneville i dont know ive never raced one but ive seen one take off from a stop and it was extremely quick

Well I had a kid in a GTP want to race me once in my '91 5-speed car (my fast SC), I put about a eighth mile on him in the quarter mile. His car was stock though. He stopped wanting to race people that night and no longer calls his car fast. The only other fast V6 cars are turbo Regals. If your afraid of Bonnevilles and V6 Camaros you should bring your car and some money to my shop those cars are slow, seriously.

Vernon

Randy, no offense, but do you have a keyboard problem? because you seem to have the "CAPS LOCK" on a lot and again I'm not trying to offend you but its very annoying.

hmm..

Race a GTP or the newer SSEi's and your asking for trouble. 240 HP in a car that is lighter than ours (even with less torque) is going to be a close race (they will beat an older model SC stock for stock). Get a good lunch and pray they don't catch up :eek: Also keep an eye out for the regal GS's!! The SSEi's are heavier and complete the 1/4 in around 15.4.

GM V6s

I have never raced any V6 Camaros but I have raced against a mid-late 90s Bonneville and also the latest Bonneville model ( both were ssei's). Both races were on the highway, the older Bonneville didnt come close to sticking with me. The newer model was a lot more close but I still managed to pull a full car length on him pretty quickly. I dont think he was expecting me to pull on him because he would not even acknowledge me when I let him by, anyways the newest model Bonnevilles are definitely quick but not quite quick enough.

I raced a grand prix GTP at the track a little while ago and beat him by a good 3/4 of a second or so.
Remember we have a big torque advantage over most of GM's supercharged line up despite our lower HP.

I raced a grand prix GTP at the track a little while ago and beat him by a good 3/4 of a second or so. Remember we have a big torque advantage over most of GM's supercharged line up despite our lower HP.

The supercharged GTPs have just as much torque as an SC. My wife Kathy drives a stock 99 GTP that usually runs mid 14s on the track.

Our big advantage over them, is launching from a stop. With front wheel drive the GTP spins the tires very bad.

David

My roommate has a 96 ssei, mine is a 95 auto. Both stock. I have been in his car and it is quick, I can tell it will be close. Anyone know if I will win or not. I might have to upgrade the exhaust before the race. If he beats me, even by a little I will never hear the end of how fast his soccer mom car is.

Practice launching with the Traction control off. If you race him from a dead stop and don't put the tire up in smoke (traction control off) you should win. Oh and leave it in Drive, most people shift stock SCs to late and the computer does it better, also turn the overdrive off, this firms up the shifts.

Vernon

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, that sounds right. Test driving this car I took off with the trac. concrol on and was very disappointed. Once I figured out how to shut it off I was amazed, big difference. Now for the practice launching, he he.

If you want some cheap HP have a mom and pop exhaust shop remove the resonater and fab in a custom y-pipe. Should be under $100. My '95 is like so and it sounds delicious. Do this and put a big MAF and K&N Panel on the car and you'll no longer wonder if you can beat anything soccer moms drive. A early style SC 89-93 blower pulley along with a Cobra steel idler pulley to match will increase boost and HP for less than $100. Motorcraft AWSF-32PP plugs will improve performance again for under $100. A Motorcraft reman V6 '94-up Mustang convter for $65 will have you shopping for a traction lock rear ('89-'93 SC $150 salvage yard price). Do even half of these things and take your buddy for a drive, fast will be redefined for him. Then his Bonne will be "fast for a big slow FWD" and you'll be hunting Mustangs.

Vernon

" Motorcraft reman V6 '94-up Mustang convter " torque converter I assume?

I think my car actually has a 10% pulley on it, and I put on a lager idler wheel to stop slippage. I wanted to do the exhaust perfect the first time (expensive) but you just talked me into this mod. I am going tomorrow literallly, it isn't too loud is it? A tune on is coming shortly, the k&n panel is installed but not sure about the air silencer, will check tomorrow. Maybe I can get the exhaust done with out his knowing he he. Oh, I would love to shut him up. He constantly trashed talked my TC, but the mouth has already slowed done with the recent SC purchase. This is going to be so much fun putting him in his place!

Yeah torque converter, long story short: the '95-'95 SC coverter sucks the fat one.

Good luck on the exhaust. If you look really hard from this sites main page you can find an article by Charles Warner where he measured backpressure in the SC exhaust at all points. The biggest restriction by far is the resonater. With stock mufflers removing it doesn't screw up the sound, you can barely hear it. Sounds like a flowmaster Mustang that's a quarter mile away, raspy but so soft who cares.

Removing the silencer goes much faster if you remove the fender liner first. I did it with the liner in and that was something else, didn't save any time.

Read my post on the tech page, I think on 2 now, about Boost leaks. Even if you just spend a few bucks to seal them without bothering to test for them you can easily pick up some serious power for like $5-$10 in a half-hour.

Vernon

I have had a run in with a grand am gt and a grand prix gt or gtp but im sure it was a gt. My cars real close to stock, but from 20 to 60 they can keep up but from 70 on they fall back bad. I dont think those cars are making the 200 hp there supposed to be making.

Back