K&N air filters

BlkSCnKS

I am thinking about doing an intake upgrade on my '95 SC and I just wanted to get some opinions on K&N. I know they are said to be the stuff as far as performance goes but do any of you believe that you might be sacrificing engine longetivity for a few more horsepower. It is just hard for me to believe, after looking at several K&N filters, that they can filter anything smaller then my pinky. I used an Amsoil filter in my '91 SC for 3 years and I don't think I will ever buy another panel filter from them again. The design of their product seems sound but they don't fit in the factory boxes very well at all. So I am just wondering, do K&N's actually filter better then what I believe? Or are they just a necessary evil when modifications require a better flowing intake? I know many of you own them and that is why I am asking for your opinions. Thank you, Brandon

i put a white rag around the TB(and slid the rubber inlet hose on top) for a few weeks with and without a K&N cone, no difference. Might want to try it with some WD-40 sprayed on the rag so it can trap more dirt, try it both ways for about a month each time. The main thing to remember is to give it a spray every few months or so, the dirt might suck the oil out after a while, along with the vacuum from the intake.

Usually the only problem with those filter is if you dont floor it enough:D , over-oiling will cover the MAF wire along with some debris

Last edited:
amsoil and K & N

What luck did you have with Amsoil air filter? I have reviewed their web site and also looked at the K & N stuff. Amsoil makes a good case and their prices are better than K & N. I have several cars and I would like to do the same to them all.

Any advice will be appreciated.

AFT

mine works pretty good and i live in a dusty climate. the dirt sticks to the oil and becomes the filter media.

BlkSC, i'm with you on the K & N filters, althought most people disagree with me. My experience comes from my Sand Buggy days when i lived in Southern California..... all my buddies that ran K & N filters in their sandrails seemed to be rebuilding engines (we all ran VW aircooled engines) every 2 seasons or so, and there was always lots of wear in the cylinders from sand getting into the engine through the air filters. I always ran a standard top quality ( i.e. WIX or NAPA ) paper filter, with a foam inner filter that i lightly oiled. the inner filter always stayed perfectly clean, which told me that the paper filter was doing it's job and filtering the dirt out. I ran the same engine without rebuilding for 9 years in the sand dunes compared with my friend's getting 2 or maybe 3 years out of an engine due to sand damage. Later i tried a K&N drop in replacement filter in my 1987 Firefird Formula 350, since i figured it was not used in a dusty climate like sand dunes...... well i had no problems that i could blame on the filter, but on the other hand i could not tell that it made ANY difference in performance.... I eventually went back to the tried and true WIX filters for that too....

weve had a k&n in my moms 94 stang for 5 years. 129,000 miles and not a problem. your not going to FEEL a difference , but with a dyno you should pick up 5-10 HP, more with a full CAI.

Back