engine sputtering

tbirdcrazy

I have 140,000 on my bird, and i also have the same fuel pump on it. my motor starts sputtering at about 2500 rpm, would you think its my fuel pump, and what would be the easiest way to replace it. And if i buy lets say a 250 lph fuel pump do i need to upgrade the injectors?
Please let my know thanx guys

Why don't you start by changing the fuel filter, its very easy to change? Then let a shop test the fuel pressure while the car is being driven. Its a lot of work to chande our fuel pumps so hope that it something else. Do you think you could have some bad gas? good luck

I changed the fuel filter last winter, I've always used the same gas, I also have my own fuel pressure guage or do i need to be driving when i check the pressure?

Does the sputtering clear up after 2500rpms and what happens at WOT? Does it happen both under load and while it is sitting still? How old are your plugs & wires? I don't think a 255lph pump will help b/c we have a return line that sends the extra fuel back to the tank. If you're high HP with bigger TB & injectors then you would need more fuel but if it is stock, the factory pump should be fine. Have you tried a bottle of injector cleaner? When you say sputtering, is that detonation, can you get codes? Do you have EGR? I would hate to see you spend to replace the pump and still have the problem. good luck

I just put in new plugs and wires, after 2k rpm it sputters under load and sitting still, i did put injector cleaner in it didn't help, and I can feel a loss of power on WOT, i'm going to check the fuel pressure and run a dignostic when i get the time. i had ford replace the cam postion sensor back when i bought the car a year ago, if they put it in wrong would that have something to do with it or not, this problem only started a couple of days ago.

Ford didn't mess up the CPS b/c you would not have been driving it. But I at a loss for ideas b/c I don't know if your sputter is detonation or what. Is there a local sccoa chapter where you can contact members a maybe get someone to look at it? Otherwise you'll need to take it to a shop, Ford or elsewhere. If it is detonation and you let it continue, your headgaskets could blow, so get it looked at by someone soon. good luck

Ford has had to replace the DIS module 2X already, I read that you have to have those things ground pretty good, now i'm starting to hear a little knocking noise on deceleration, I think ford messed it up somehow, come spring i'm going to tear it apart and fix everything, most of the sensors on it are the stock ones.

Back