Help ASAP! on access to outlet tube retaining bolt

NorthrnSCownr

I have the upper inter cooler tube off and I'm trying to remove the bolt retaining (attaching) the outlet tube to the upper support bracket. Any advice on size or tool to use to access (to get this off!):confused:

What do you use that fits up in there? I finnaly got a mini 15mm boxend on it, but man is it tight in there...I dont know how to get it back on! but I think that a swivel head with a deep socket is he only way...

This one?:
upperictubenut2.jpg

You might have to get it from underneath.

Removing nut

Remove the windshield washer res. This gives you a little more room to work. NOTHING! is easy on this car......

M

No. I don't think so. The small bracket that attaches the lower IC tube. Called a retaining bolt for the outlet tube in the manual. I got to it from underneath using a small open end wrench not full on the nut. Now my issue is trying to remove the lower tube. Do I have to remove the PS pump itself, or will that even be enough to get the tube out? Right now the lower tube is fully unattached but it will only move about 3/16 of an inch. Help!

Yes the powersteering pump will have to be moved forward to let the lower tube come out, in fact the whole bracket assembly on that side needs to be moved. The books recommend installing a long bolt though the top hole in the power steering pump bracket to slide it forward on.

Loosen but don't remove the support bracket at the front of the block, the lower tube bracket.

remove the belt

dissconnect spark plug wires

remove power steering pump to water pump bracket brace retaining stud nuts

remove two power steering pump bracket (the big one) to cylinder head retaining bolts and one stud nut

OPTIONAL: Install a 10x 1.5mm x 170mm bolt (6.5" long) into the top hole in the power steering pump bracket. Thread the bolt into the hole appoximately 5 turns

remove the power steering cap

slide the power steering pump bracket assembly forward on the stud and bolt that was installed in previous step

remove the outlet tube by pulling underneath the steering pump bracket assembly and up through the engine compartment

be careful not to scratch the sealing surfaces

it may be necessary to pivot the outlet tube clamping connector to gain clearance during removal

Have fun,
Vernon

If you use the bolt and are carefull no, I would wrap it with plastic or foil and seal it with a rubber band or tie-wrap etc. for the duration of the repair. Whatever you do you don't want to break one of the mounting ears on the funnel/cap as it will not seal well with only one ear. They break off realatively easy. If the cap gets into a bind it snaps before you even realize it. They only used these caps on SCs so Ford probably already has discontinued them.

Vernon

Ok you were talking about the lower ic tube. I just took mine off last nite. What a pain and there is 1 bolt and 1 stud with nut. stud musr be removed also

Back