loss of power

turbospeed

i was happily going to the track tomorrow prepared with a gallon of 114octane gas but, i tested the car and felt a noticeable loss of power, but i still have nice idle and no smoke or signs on the oil i hear a hissing sund behind the blower.......any ideas?

Why were you running 114? On a stock car you aren't going to need that. Running a stock car with high octane fuel will produce less power than premium if all else is equal.

You might have blown off a vacuum line as well.

Jeff

Fuel

I have read many tests on high octane fuel, and unless the car calls for it, then it does absolutley nothing, Unless you are running a very high compression engine then you don't need 114 octane. Average rule of thumb for boost to compression is that for every three pounds of boost you increase one full compression point, thus making 12lbs of boost on an sc motor with 8:1 compression or so, you get 12.1 compression ratio under full boost, that is why this car requires nothing less than 91, i personaly use Sunoco 94. So unless you start running really high compression stay away from the race gas.

coundt find anything but i noticed the vaccum gauge ists at 22 when it tused to sit at 24 at idle im gonna take it to the shop tomorrow

I thought the computer would advance the spark (or at least not reduce the spark) if it were running higher octane? Also, if we are getting 14 or 15 pounds of peak boost, does that mean we are getting compression of 14:1 or 15:1 ... and therefore might benefit from racing fuel? Or at least a mix?

Paul

The computer doesn't advance the timing to the point that it detonates then back off. It's just set to the stock setting no more. Higher compression at higher engine speeds is easier for the engine to handle than it is at lower speeds. You won't see 14-15psi until almost redline anyway. With the stock drive ratio you won't get above 12-13 unless you're exhaust is backed up like a fat man eatin' a 5lb block of cheese.

Jeff

hey man

hey whats up man i dont know if u have fixed ur car but i just had the same problem i was going to the races and then all of the sudden i started to feel my car slower and with way less power and everytime i would go into boost i would hear a loud hissin sound that i thought was coming from the blower but i checked all the bolts and nut for the SC and IC tubes and everything was fine so what i did was unbolted my exhaust from the manifolds and turned the car on and noticed it was runnin fine again so i just took my cats off and all is perfect but now my car is loud. and when i was having the problem i had good idle too. well hope u get ur car fixed.

~Jesus Ugalde~:D

i have no cats :( i think it may be a vaccum hose or the blower is leaking from th top.......butim gonna check if i dont have any restriction on the exhaust

My car isn't totally stock and I see 14 pounds or more at well below redline. I guess the trick to the high-octane fuel is getting a two-setting custom chip then? One for 97 octane or 98 octane maybe (figuring there will be some 91 left in the tank to bring the 100 octane fuel down) and one for regular 91 premium (welcome to arizona, home of sucky gas) Out of curiousity, what kind of power increase over stock could one expect if they were able to actually make use of 100 octane for example? Is there a set .... I don't know 2 hp per octane point or something like that for increases?

Back