Brake Problem... Need help ASAP!!

supercoupe92FL

So I was driving and needed to make a harder than usual stop, but not enough to lock up or cause ABS to activate. Right after both the antilock and brake light came on but braking remained normal.

I parked the car and when I came back a few hours later and started it up both lights came on and remained on. The pedal was very hard and needed a lot of pressure to slow the car down. I checked brake fluid and it was high, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch above the fill mark. I replaced the accumulator 3 months ago and have had no problems until now.

Did a search before posting and figure i've lost power assist braking, is it the abs pump relay? Just a fuse? Or do I need to replace the whole pump itself, which I really hope its not cause im short on $$.
Also, am I doing major damage to the brake system by driving the car like this? Like to know in case I need to pick up parts from the store and I cant get a ride.

any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks

I have three guesses.
The relay is bad.
The pressure switch is bad.
The pump motor is bad.

Replace the relay first. It's $15 at O'Reilly. If it's the pump or pressure switch, then send the whole unit to Prior Reman.

Ok so I'm driving back from pep boys after being told they had the relay in stock over the phone only to find out they dont have it because someone forgot to take it off teh computer :mad:
As I apply the brakes on the trip home, the power assist suddenly kicks back in, both lights went out and my brakes were fine for the rest of the drive back.... weird

Is this a better indication of a bad relay? I went ahead and ordered a relay anyways just to be sure.

Back