Electric window operation question....

LJGriggs

My driver's side window has developed a "partial failure". The window will roll down halfway and then stop. I hear a loud buzzing sound from the motor like the drive gear is slipping when the glass stops moving. I removed the inside door panel and moisture barrier so I could inspect the mechanism, but everything seems to be OK. The clips that hold the glass look OK, and there doesn't seem to be anything obstructing the stabilizer or the rails.
Before I go through the process of drilling out the rivets and removing the motor assembly, rails, glass, etc., has anyone had this problem? Have any ideas what causes this?

Larry the PW motors are NOT riveted in, they have 3 small bolts. You can literally take the motor out in 10 minutes, and 5 of that includes removing the interior door panel. Very easy.

I had that exact problem once before, but I just replaced the motor.

Yes, it could just need a rebuild of the gear or a part, but...I can get them at a U-Pull-It complete for $13, so I've never bothered. Cheers, Dan H

Mine has done this too, since I got the car a few months ago. In earlier discussion, it came up that the felt strips might be worn down to rubber and causing the window to bind up the rubber. I've replaced the inside strip ($40, just FYI) since I figured that's the one it would rub on the most. Didn't do the trick. I may swap out the outside one too before trying the motor. It goes halfway down, to where the front of the window, by the mirror, is about 2" up from the bottom of the window, barely creaks down and once it gets past that 2" it goes down fine. Puts a good drain on the battery in the process.

window

About 3mths ago I had the same problem with my window not going all the way down. I took the door apart and I thought it looked fine also. Anyway, I took my car to a small electric motor repair place here in cali and the guy found the gear in the motor was messed up. He got the part, installed it and now mine is fixed. If i had to guess, i'd say its the motor gear. Dustin-cali-USMC

I have a question to, my power window goes down fine, but goes up off track, I have to guide it up wiht my hand so it closes good, so does that mean its off track? If so, easy to fix?

Back