Erratic Tachometer

FearThis SC

Got in my SC this morning and cranked her up. Right as I cranked her, the Tachometer when to 3700rpm's on the tachometer. The engine was at an idle and wasnt at 3700rpms as shown on the tachometer. So I turned her off and restarted and the same thing happened. Car was idling fine around 800rpm's or so, but tachometer when right back to 3700rpms......the engine was probably actually at around 800rpms at idle. So I knew it was just the tachometer that was acting weird.

On the highway, no real movement of the tachometer from that position of 3700rpms. No matter how much acceleration I did notice the tachometer moved slightly up to around 4000rpms.....When I turn off the engine, the tachometer when back down to 0 rpms........so I cranked her again and killed it as soon as the tachometer when to 3700rpms......as soon as I shut the car off the tachometer needle stop on the other side at 8000rpms and stopped, completely on the wrong side of the tachometer????

Very strange.............open circuit??? Short? Any suggestions???

Calvin

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem?

Have you figured out the fix for your erratic tachometer? Mine has been doing that for some time. If you have a solution send me an email to the following address:

tkruid@yahoo.com

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

Were you able to buy a new one or did you have to get a used one? How much did it run you? Thanks.

Back