Quick Brake Question!

NOTYSC

Going to do the brakes this weekend and just wondering where the best place to get new rotors and pads is. I would like added performance and was looking at the SCP performance factory replacement rotors and kevlar pads; but wanted a second opinion. Thanks The SC is a 90.

Without the 1993 front spindle assembly your brake options are limited.

They changed things in 1993 and kept it through the rest of the model years. So without that change you have to stick with stock calipers which means probably stock rotors. You can get more agressive pads, but they may into your rotors worse.

Depends on the kind of driving you will do.

The key I found to the rotors though is to shop around. You'll get all kinds of crazy prices. $30 each here, $80 each there, $60 each over there.

Rotor prices pretty much tell you their quality. I'd stay away from the $30 units and stick to the $60-$80 units. And see if they can check the new rotors for run-out right there. (If they will turn rotors, they should be able to do that.) It's not uncommon to need to turn new rotors before installing them.

brakes

check www.discbrakesrus.com

I haven't bought rotors from them, but i have gotten other stuff. I spoke on the phone with Jeff.

The company is really good, with communications and their products (that i bought-- mustang calipers for brake upgrade) are great.

You'll have to see what he has for Bird rotors, i got mine somewhere else. (cough.. cough.. KVR cough) and they may be going back...

jim

Need help with installing brakes

My husband is changing the brakes on our 89 SC today. ( He is NOT a mechanic!) Now the brakes are smoking!!!! What did he do?

Any of a number of things.

Most likely he allowed some oil or contamination to get on the brakes, or there is a hydraulic fluid leak.

Better have someone check it out.

Back