For those who have rebuilt thier engines...

91BLOWNSC

Alright, I have a 91 Auto SC and I was just wondering what king of benefits I am looking to see what I can expect performance wise from a rebuilt engine. My car ran REALLY good before this (with 125k on the clock). I am getting a valve job done, honing of the cylinders, new rings, and all new bearings. I also added ported manifolds to my list of modifications. I was just looking as to what I should expect performance wise. My best time is in my sig (with most times being in the low 15's). Will their be any improvement in my 1/4 times? I also heard the car may slow a little until it is broken in. Is this true? What is a recommended break in period, or in other words, how long have some of you waited before "getting on it" again?

Since the only performance mod you mentioned was porting the exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't expect much of an increase. Assuming you needed a rebuild it should have more power now and with the exhaust manifold porting may be a few tenths quicker.

David

hmm..

Thanks dave! You always seem to be their to post! Can you recommend to me a proper break-in period for my car? People keep telling me 3000 miles. But I always assumed that for a new car with all new parts. Just trying to get an idea. Thanks!

500 miles.....and avoid maintaining the same rpm for extended periods and run engine a little hotter than normal if possible. Raise fan settings 15 degrees if running 180 t-stat and adjustable controller or tuner.

Change the oil and filter after this break in period because the oil will contain more unburnt fuel than normal while the rings are seating.

David

Hey 91 Blown,

Dave is right, 500 miles for the break-in period. This means no HARD accelerations!!!!! I know that this is a hard thing. I'm doing the same thing to my SC very soon (as soon as my money tree finishes growing).

Dave is right about another thing as well. After the break-in period make sure that you change the oil. I recommend that you use a standard oil for the break-in period, and then switch to either a true synthetic, or a synthetic blend.

Good Luck!

I just rebuilt mine a few months back and just past the first 3000 mile mark. You can feel the difference in power because the rings have seated amoung other things. Just make sure you break it in correctly or you could have blow-by problems or any number of things. 500 miles sounds right to me too, at least that is what I did.

Back