adjusting the door hinges...

J

jpaitala

How can this be done??
I need to get my drivers side door a little more closed by it's upper edge. I have got a new weatherstripping in the mail now but I know that I'll have to get the door a little more closed.
All this because there's a loud hissing noise coming from the drivers side door when driving over 40mph.

Yes, I know this article but my door doesn't sag, so I don't think that I need new hinge pins... Correct me if I'm wrong!!

jpaitala said:
Yes, I know this article but my door doesn't sag, so I don't think that I need new hinge pins... Correct me if I'm wrong!!

Some folks will have you believe that your hinge pins are shot. From what you described it is just an adjustment. Don't let yourself be fooled into making repairs you don't need. Check your door by picking up at the aft end and see if there is play. Barring none the only thing you need is an adjustment.

You will need to adjust the hinge itself. If I remember right wasn't the drivers side damaged and all that stuff was repaired or replaced. Look where the hinge is bolted to the body and you will see 2 bolts and 1 nut. you will have to loosen these a little at a time as to affect the whole door assembly to shift down. Not an easy task but it is doable. This procedure is out of my 95 CD..

Door Alignment

NOTE:
Do not cover up poor front door alignment with a latch striker adjustment.

1. The front door upper hinge (22800) and front door lower hinge provide sufficient adjustment to correct most front door misalignment conditions. The holes of front door upper hinge and front door lower hinge and/or the hinge attaching points are enlarged or elongated to provide for front door upper hinge and front door lower hinge and front door alignment.

Determine which door hinge bolts must be loosened to move the front door (20124) in the desired direction.

2. Loosen the door hinge bolt just enough to permit movement of the front door with a padded pry bar.

3. Move the front door the estimated necessary distance. Tighten the hinge bolts to 25-35 N-m (18-26 lb-ft). Check front door fit to be sure there is no bind or interference with the adjacent panel.

4. Repeat the operation until the desired fit is obtained. Check the door latch striker tapping plate alignment for proper front door closing.

5. The front door and quarter window glass (29710) must be checked to ensure proper alignment to the roof rail and vertical weatherstrips. Refer to «Section 01-11».

Striker, Door Latch

NOTE:
Adjust the door latch striker after the door is properly adjusted. Refer to door alignment procedure in this section. Do not adjust door latch striker to correct door sag.

The latch striker is moved vertically and horizontally to align striker and latch. The striker will move 6.3 mm (0.25 inch) in any direction on B-pillar. The striker must be shimmed to move fore and aft to provide striker clearance.

To check striker clearance:

1. Clean latch and striker and apply a thin coat of dark grease such as Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B to striker.

2. Open and close door to produce measurable pattern in grease.

3. Using Torx® Drive Bit Set D79P-2100-T or equivalent, reposition striker as required to ensure easy, and secure, door closure. Install no more than one shim between striker and B-pillar to adjust fore and aft clearance.

4. Tighten striker assembly to 35-45 N-m (25-32 lb-ft).

Last edited:
Yea I'm gonna have to agree on the alignment, I know a lot of people like to jump and say its the hinges...

Hope this helps

door

not sure if it will help , but when u said that u just need ur door more closed , that might also need that part where it actually shuts, where it locks....so check if that plastic round part is good and not worn out.

Hi jpaitala

could you please tell me from where did you buy the weatherstripping for your doors and how much is it. My drivers side door is shut properly, but I hear hissing noise when I am dirving. I am thinking to change the weatherstripping .
Mine is a 89 SC.
Thanks

I ordered it from a local Ford Part Distributor. They ordered them from the states. Both weatherstripping peaces are around 55$ in states... You should be able to get them easily...

Back