lifters good damper good were is the knock

corey796

i pulled the intake hooked the battery up and carnk the motor all the valves seem to open good i pulled the 3 belts and crank pulley is not lose or cruded and the main damper bolt is and the 4 small pulley bolt are there i drained the oil in to a drain pan with a couple of paper toils on it i could not see or fell any metal from the oil the rocker arms show all the same signs of were they were polish from the valve and push rod and the part that holds the rocker down showed the same were and polish the push rods seem strate and are polished from rocker arm and lifter
the lifter rollers are good the from looking at them seem round and no signs of damage they do not have play in them other then left and right on the press in rod that holds them i have not look at the cam in detail but i will but i think if the cam was bad the lifter should show some signs

the knock sounded like a lifter to me but thats me it was from the time i started the motor till i killed it got faster and i think it got louder as rpm goes i pulled the supercharger belt and ran it the knock was still there i have the intake of now and all parts i had to take of to get the intake of i got the car last week it ran very strong and other then the knock i was happy

is there a easy way to see if the knock is a rod and is there a easy way to pull the oil pan my chilton book wants me to unbolt the motor and trains mount then rase the motor
help im dead in the water here :confused:

Last edited:
Well from what you are saying it sounds like a rod bearing.
If the bearing starts to go the piston hits the head ever so slightly
and causes this slight knock that gets worse with RPM. Now Im not there and this is only my take in the matter but you my want to take it to someone you trust just to see what they think.
If your car has high miles maybe a rebuild is in order anyway.
As far as metal in the pan the will be just a hint of silver or gold
flake. Hard to detect. I just did a na 38 with a rod knock that would wake the dead and didnt find much in the oil.
Hope shes back on the road soon. Mark J.

hold it stop crying

first off, use some damn puctuation marks.

I've been through this procedure before.

second, i'm gonna guess you just had the car worked on because you said you just got it back.

try this, you have to find some good way to look at the oil dipstick tube. It may look like its in the correct orientation, even be on the exhaust manifold bolt. BUT, if its not in all the way you will get this knock like sound EXACTLY as you described.

NOTE: there are two ribs on the tube, the lower rib must sit flush into the block space.

Ok so your wondering (if this is the problem) how do you get the tube down. Get like 3-4 .25 inch socket extensions (6 in. lenght). on one extension the part where the ratchet hooks in-- grind it a little lenght wise so it can surround the tube more closely. now hook all the extension together and find some way to get the best straight line down to the tube and butt the end up against the top rib, now smack with a small hammer. don't slam it or you could squish the rib.

let me know if you need help or a more precise explantion

jim

How's your oil pressure? If you lose a bearing, most of the time you lose oil pressure with it. There are a bunch of things that can cause a knock, tap or ping. If you got a tap, or knock at the top of the engine, my guess would be a lifter, wrist pin, something on top of the piston, or maybe a broken piston skirt. I have also heard a knocking noise come from a blown head gasket. Any way it wouldn't hurt to pull the heads while you got it down this far.

Good luck, Biggin':(

Back