Will airbags stop tires from rubbing ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I installed a set of H&R springs about a year ago. It rode a little low in the rear and rubbed the tires when trunk was loaded or people were in the back seat. I added some rubber spring spacers on the rear to provide about 1/2" inch of lift.

Now it's a year later and the springs have settled a little and I'm getting some tire rub going over dips in the road with the trunk loaded. Will adding air bags to the rear springs prevent this ?

David

Hi Dave, remember me from Steigemeier's? Well anyway, I've used the Airlift Airbags in the rear of a few of my cars (including the Splitport Tbird I had at Steigemeier's) and I'm very pleased with them. I've yet to pop one, I'm knocking on wood as I type this, and I run 40-45 lbs in the bags (which are rated for 25 lbs). I've been using them for about 3 years now. With them filled to 40 lbs, they raise the car about an inch to two inches and firm up the rear quite a bit. But what's really great about them is that there is no set rate, you can adjust them to whatever pressure you like. So to answer your question, yes they should reduce tire rub quite a bit if not eliminate it altogether. If you're going to get a set, Summit sells them for about $65. I have an extra set of brand new bags for $25, but I don't know if I have the hose to hook them up (I might, but I'd have to look around). You could probably buy all the parts you need to install them (hose, hose clamps, schraeder valves) at Autozone for under $10. Let me know if you want them.

They will work great for that purpose Dave. I've had them in my 95 for about 3 years now. A couple years back, I was going to instruct at a driving school at Watkins Glen, NY, so for the trip from Toronto I had 5 wheels & tires for the track, a hydraulic jack, tool box, spare brake parts and other misc. crap, all jammed in my car, along with my helmet and clothes etc. for 2 days. Anyway, with about 30 psi in the bags, no trouble keeping the fender lips off my 255 tires on 8-1/2" wheels.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

the best thing to stop the rear end from twitching (especially between shifts)was to install air-bags.

Got em on both my cars Dave and they work wonders for keeping my wheelwells off the 285's on the 94.

285's !!!

wow, could i see a pic of that car from the rear? I'd love to see how those 285's look on the back. What width wheels are you using? How tall are the tires (40,50,60,etc)?

s5090002.jpg

Those are 285 40's on a 17x9 wheel

Thanks for all the responses...air bags it is then. I'll look for the kit on Summit's website.

Tony, that car looks great....I want my SC to look that nice some day.

David

Last edited:
Anyone have Summitt part numbers, I can't find a kit for anything except trucks and SUVs or should I just order them from SCP ?

David

Last edited:
Summit is cheaper than SCP I believe. Here are Summit's numbers:

89-91 Thunderbird/Cougar - AIR-60789
92-97 Thunderbird/Cougar - AIR-60776

Like I said I also have a set of brand new 89-91's for $25, and I may also have the hose to install it with (free). All you'd need are the schraeder valves and 4 hose clamps.

AIR-60776 is the Summit part # I used on mine David.

Blown11 I have 285's on the rear only. 255's on the front.

Do they effect the performance?

If not then racecougar, Ill take them. Where can I go about getting schraeder valves and 4 hose clamps? And about how much are they going to run?

Racecougar,

Thanks for the part numbers, any idea what is different between 91 & 92 T-Birds? I thought all SCs were the same rear suspension.

Also thanks for the offer to purchase the spares you have, but I would rather just order the kit from Summitt.

David

Oh, no problem Dave. The difference is that in 92 and newer there isn't a rubber bumpstop inside the spring at the top like there is on the 89-91's. So the 92-97 airbags are a little bit taller to compensate for the extra space inside the spring.

Blown11, they definitely don't hurt performance if that's what you're asking. They might help you hook up a little better, and they can certainly help keep the rear of the car level in the turns. Just about any auto parts store should carry the schraeder valves (they're just like a tire valvestem, but barbed on one end for a hose to slide on) and hose clamps. The parts should easily be under $10. Just email me at rodsv6cougar@cs.com if you want them.

I don't know if they will. Those are quite a bit bigger than the kit for the 89-91's. If there's a way to remove that entire bumpstop from inside the spring, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Dave if they won't work on your 91 I'm sure one of us w/ the 92+ cars would be interested in them. Unless you can cancel the order, or send them back.

PS. You got mail.

If you look at the air lift instructions for the kit for the 89 t-bird they tell you to cut the rubber bumper off. So maybe you'll be alright if you just cut it.

Back