Low Oil Light- But Full

NorthrnSCownr

I just got done replacing the water pump, and a rocker cover gasket-(thanks for the help guys) and drove about 300 miles since. <P>About 30 miles ago the change oil light came on. I just changed it about 700 miles ago....and on the dip stick it appears a bit dirty. I think the crooked dealer who also plugged the water pump weep hole with silicone also may have dropped a can of stop leak in the motor for the rocker cover leak. I can't think of why else it would be dirty so quickly.!?<P> Then about 1/2 a mile ago, after stopping at a friends house, I came out and started the car and there was a low oil light as well. I got home, checked the oil and it is full. Why could this occur? Any suggestions or comments?

I've had this happen on a few of my engines. If they put stop leak in the oil, it may have caused the screen on the oil pickup (on the oil pump) to clog up. Before you go to all of the trouble of pulling the oil pan, etc, I would recommend you replace your oil pressure sending unit (under $10 at Autozone), and check the condition of the wire that plugs onto the sending unit. If it's not the sending unit, it could very well be that the screen on the pickup is clogged.

The oil level sensor is on the passengerside of the block screwed into the side of the oil pan. You might try pulling it out and cleaning it. You'll need to drain off some of the oil if its actually full or it'll spill out the side. The pressure sensor only drives the oil pressure guage. It doesn't send any signals to the VMM.

The Oil change light has a bad habit of going off too soon as the cars get more mileage on them. For example, mine lites up about every 1300 miles. So, I just reset it and keep the next OC mileage on a thin strip of yellow sticky by the odometer.

Oh, my mistake. You meant low oil level light didn't you, not low oil pressure? I misread your post, just disregard mine.

Back