Cooling fan set points

94scnflt

I own a '94. I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the puller fan to kick on earlier. I do it manually right now by turning on the A/C when I am stopped, otherwise the fan won't kick on until just passed the "L" in normal on the temp gauge. My pusher fan does not kick on at all, not even with the A/C. The fan motor is fine, fuse is not blown, so the last thing I can think of is the relay in the IRC module. Any help would be great.

Your pusher fan won't come on unless your puller fan dosn't cool your coolant down some. The pusher fan is a backup so not seeing it come on is a good thing. There are three basic ways to turn your fans on at a cooler temp. A chip (not just any chip), an EEC tuner, or some sort of adjustable cool fan switch.

Here's Jimmy's old post with the temps listed:

Jimmy 2Coupes
SC Newbie

Your puller fan (engine side) should kick on at 220 degrees which is right about on the right side of M on the temp gauge. The pusher fan should only come on if the puller fan doesn't cool the coolant down because it's really a backup fan just for that reason. The pusher fan comes on at about 228 degrees so if yours is not coming on thats a good thing. There is probably nothing wrong with your fans but to find out let your car idle until the gauge needle gets on the right side of M in norm and the puller fan should kick in. One way to verify your pusher fan is working is to pull the electrical connecter on the puller fan so when the coolant reaches 228 degrees the pusher kicks in but I wouldn't recommend doing that as 228 degrees is TO hot. A better way is to have someone run a EEC KOEO (key on engine off) test on your car. The test will check the operation of both fans by briefly turning both of them on for about five seconds

Back