egr, do i have it?

35th_tbird

i've done a search on this, but didn't get very far, unless i'm just blind and missed it. o.k., i have a 35th anniversary sc, so do i have the egr? i know on the faqs, it says 89 & 90 with 5 speed and aod have it, but do i have an aod or an aod-e? please let me know or guide me to a post that says so i canread it, but please help, it's bugging me not to know. thanks

One sure way to tell is look behind the inlet plentum right next to the fire wall on the passanger side. Its a round silver dohicki about the size of floppy disk. I do beleave you have one.
89-90 + 94-95 had em. Only 91-93 were spared this device.

If this helps.
The 90 with AOD... No EGR
The 90 with 5 speed OD.. has EGR.

If you can't locate a tube which runs from the exhaust back up to the backside of the engine, you don't have an EGR.

Also, I have the Automatic Overdrive (AOD) transmission. I went through the quest to find the EGR 2 months ago when my Nox readings were too high to pass the emissions test. This is when I discovered that the 90 AOD doesn't have one. I think Ford used a 3stage cat to solve the problem for the AOD.

Turns out in my case that I was getting some unmetered air in the intake due to an unattached breather hose which was just enough to lean out the engine slightly. I reattached the hose, replaced the O2 sensors for good measure and just squeeked by with 16/1000ths. Next year, I might need new cat(s).

thanks for the help, i'll check it out. but what about my other question? did they make the 35ths (autos) with the aod or the aod-e? is that a possibility or am i thinking of a different car? i know i saw the two options somewhere.

Odd, I have a '90 AOD with only two cats and no EGR.

It may just depend on what day they built them!

No '90s had AOD-E trannies. The "E" means Electronic and the AOD has a Throttle Valve cable (Running from the throttle linkage) instead of computer controls. I think that the AOD-E started around 1993 model year.

The AODE (or more properly the 4R70W) was only found in the 94-95 SuperCoupes. All other years had a heavy duty AOD.

To clarify. My 90/AOD also only has 2 cats.. but they have a 3 stage catalyst. The last stage is what traps the Nox. On the 90/5 speed, the cats are probably 2 stage since the EGR controls Nox emissions.

There is some variation in the setup which is sort of surprising, but between year/engine/trans I'm fairly sure the setups are the same.

Interesting. I wonder what smog issues would arise if you went to a standard, two cat aftermarket exhaust on the egr less SC.

I would really like to know because I want to get rid of my EGR and plug it. It lets carbon deposits form in the intake which make there way to the blower and score the surfaces.

thanks for all the help. i know this has probably been asked before, but i couldn't find anything on it and i really wanted to know. thanks again.

Back