Just a idea about re-wiring the fan?

SUPER91SC

Hey everyone. This may be a bad idea but I was wondering if wiring the fan so that I would run all the time on low speed until the high speed is needed would be a good/bad idea? Obviously just when the car is running. Just a thought. If this has been done and IS a good idea how and what wires are re-routed? My car doesn't exactly over heat but when the low speed fan comes on it seems like it stays at a nice temp, and I would just feel more comfortable when it runs at this temperature. Thax.

Mike

most people rewire it with a switch, i dont like having the fan run all the time. especially in colder weather and on the highway. i flip mine on when i get into the city.

Unless you forget to turn the fan on, which i found is very easy to do, I had one on MY Z-28 and I forgot to turn it on all the time.

There was a cooling fan FAQ on the TBSCEC but it is under review. But here is something I dug up in the past:

Are you trying to just switch the low speed fan on, or are you trying to make sure the low speed fan is on always EXCEPT for when the high speed fan wants to run?

I don't know that anyone has created a diagram for all of this.

The low speed fan wire is #14 on the IRCM that is in front of the airbox on the passenger side. Cut this wire so it is "open" and the low speed fan will be forced on.

Wire #17 on the same connector can be "grounded" to force the high speed fan on.

Having both the high speed and low speed on at the same time will decrease the life expectancy of the fan.

Back