liquid to air intercoolers?

wellby440

I am thinking of switching to a liquid to air intercooler but what I need to know is that would a more efficient intercoller ie. better flow cfm and reduced pressure drop through the core add more hp on a mildly moded motor (upgraded exhaust , mac intake raised blower top) the car in question is a 90 35th sc. I would be greatfull for any help thanks in advance

All things equal a air/water is better.

Cores can be any size on both types, so better flowing and pressure drop can be the same with both types, and could be lower for an air/water because you don't need a core that's the same length since water cools better than air.

Jeff

If it needs to be said a water/air intercooler cools 4 times better than air.This is the absorbtion rate versus air.Also it can handle surges of heat much easier.

thanks for the great info but would I gain more hp on a mildly modded motor due to the greater airflow and less pressure drop thaan a stock intercooler or is this a mod for people with bigger mods ie. cam, ported blower and ported heads. Since it is a large investment I would like to be able to see a incress in hp, or would you reccomend other mods first thanks

you gain 1hp for every 4 degrees in temperature drop of intake charge air. Drop the temp 40 degrees, you just gained 10hp with no other change.

And if you reduce the pressure drop, that's also free power. Though I don't know how pressure drop vs HP relates.

Back