Help!!!!!!

icebird82

i am having a really big problem with ym charging system. i replaced my alt. and my belt, and my battery. the problem is that there is no ppower getting back to my battery to charge it back up. i took the alt. in to autozone and hed it tested and they said it was fine. can anyone help me. i have checked all the wires and seem to not find anything. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! :confused:

Have you done any work with your instrument gauges, If so, check your connections. The charging circuit includes the dash alternator/battery light. I had a loose connection with my gauge panel and my alternator would never charge the battery. I snapped in my loose connector and it fixed the problem.

Also, your alternator wiring has fusible links that tend to burn or wear out . You will need to cut out the old fusible links and splice in the new ones. Autozone carries these.

battery cables

Hello, i recently had the same problem. I had my alternator tested and it tested fine, and the battery was two weeks old. I was told to try replacing my battery cables, so that i did. Problem gone. No more dead batteries. My ground cable was very corroded and rusted where it was bolted to the motor mount stud. Not too easy to replace but doable. I grounded the cable to the rear motor mount bolt, as it is much easier to get, just disconnect the steering column and push it up into the car. That is what i would do next, the cables were a cheep fix. Good luck.

Kyle

Just my thoughts. For almost 30 years, every so often I'll have a battery cable give me a hard time. It is so critical to have a clean connection at all ends of those battery cables. I have had a better time of it since I started using those green and red chemically treated felt washers on my batteries. They always seem to keep things in better shape. Hope this helps.

Ditto on the battery donuts. I always use them now. I used to slop the terminals over with wheel bearing grease. That worked pretty good, but it was messy. ;)

thanks for responding. i have no power going ot my elec. cluster. so i cant tell if it is working. but ihave a after market gauge. the gauge seems fine but then drains.y it and tell you how it goes thanks.
ken:) :)

Ignition Switch

Same thing happened to me (91SC), went through what you all have. Turned out it was my ignition switch, everything else (Alternator, battery) was all fine.

Back