Subframe removal

Mike Combs

I have a rod knock in my 91 3.8 LX and want to pull the pan without completely removing the engine. I know that I need to pull the subframe.
How much of a pain is it, and what is the easiest way to do so??
Do I need special tools??

well if you got a rod knock i think its time to pull the motor anyway! its actually easier to pull the motor out from the top and work on it on a stand than it is in the cradle with the suspention removed! not only is it a pain to remove the suspention but you still really wont be able to do much under there. My buddy tried to do so on his POS camaro and it was a PIA to get everything back together!

chris

Yeh, I guess your right.

It's just that I have already pulled it twice by myself already. The first time was for a destroyed rod bearing. I replaced the bearings and crank with parts from a low mileage car. 1000 miles later the knock was back and I was loosing oil pressure. I pulled it again to replace the bearings, but the crank was a little out of spec. I had no way to get the crank to the machine shop so I had to put the it back together with just the new bearings. Now I have a knock when I start the car until the engine builds oil pressure and a slight knock when running above 2500rpm. I know that I need to grind the crank, but am dreading the pulling of the engine.

A hard lesson learned... Twice!! Someone wrote "You never have enough time or money to do it right the first time, but you always have enough time and money to do it again."

I guess I'll wait until the knock get's worse and I have time. I have a new motor lined up that I will install when the time comes.

this isnt a fix but merely maybe a help until you can get that other engine. Change the oil and try running a little bit heavier weight oil and a bottle of Lucas HI-TACK. this is in a blue bottle with all the other oil additives int eh parts store and it helps alot in anything ive put it in. its great stuff as is all Lucas products.

that saying its So true!!!!

good luck
chris

Back