How to get front bearing out of SC snout?

935spd

I am putting a new snout seal on my SC and need help getting the front bearing off the snout seal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

snout bearing.

I understand that those are not considered serviceable. In other words, dummies like us are not supposed to work on them. If I get a chance, I'll look at one. I suspect that bearing and shaft are pressed into the snout. Superchargers of Canada sells reconditioned snouts. Might talk to them.

Old Bird

I'm a little confused. Just to replace the seal there is no need to mess with the bearing at all. Maybe you are having trouble getting the pulley off the shaft?

An impact wrench works well to take of the nut. If not available leave the belt on and try it with a regular wrench or socket. The pulley might be hard to get off, but a small 3-jaw puller can help out there. Go slowly since it is easy to bend up the pulley.

After the pulley is out of the way remove the metal ring clip in front of the seal. I then carefully punch two small holes on either side of the seal with a nail. Just puncture the metal of the seal, do not go too deep or you will hit the bearing.

Then screw in two small screws and slowly pry out the seal using the screws for leverage. New seal is then install by gently hammering it in with a short piece of pipe that is the correct diameter for the seal. Lubricate the lips of the new seal and take care not to get it caught on the sharp edge of the shaft as it is going in.

I had no problem getting the pulley off. I also got the seal clip off. It looks like the clip was stiing on the bearing. Is there a peice of metal between the seal and the clip? It looks to me that the seal is under this metal.

Nick

I've seen that on the original Eaton seals. It is just aluminum and is part of the seal. Just make your two holes on opposite sides of the shaft, insert screws and pull it out. What the seal actually looks like will be a lot clearer once it is out.

Hey George,

I got the seal out. Is the seal also supposed to be the cover for the front bearing? Am I supposed to be able to see in the bearing? I have an all black rubber seal going back on that is made by Chicago Rawhide. Should I pack the bearing with grease or oil it up while I am in there?

Also, is the oil in the snout self contained?

Thanks,
Nick

You should be able to see the bearing with the seal removed. Don't put any kind of lubricant on the bearing. The supercharger has a self contained oiling system and uses a special synthetic oil. I would check the fluid level when the car is sitting on level ground and the charger is completely cold. Remove the hex plug from the front of the charger and fill only up to the bottom of the threads of the hole.

Ford sells the fluid (part #E9SZ19577A), but the GM fluid (part # 12345982) is the same stuff only cheaper. You may also remove all the old fluid with some thing like a turkey baster (don't use it on turkeys after that!). Takes about 6 oz to fill up completely.

use a sprayer from like a windex bottle it works better caus you can get way down in the hole to get all the oil out. if you are changing the fluid you need two of the small bottles.

chris

Back