Transmission Questions again

pearlwhite94sc

Ok guys i decided it was time to lay her down for a while. With 199,578 miles on the stock trans and motor and headgaskets i threw in the towel for her and bought a ranger to drive for now. I am starting a complete restoration of her. im gonna do the suspention, brakes, rear end, motor and trans.
my problem is the trans needs done first and its a 94 manual with the M5R2. The ford dealers say that the syncros are discontinued as well as alot of the other parts for inside her.
This summer we put a Centerforce 2 with the mcleod flywheel and i am not impressed with either. I am debating swapping it out completely for one of the T56 six speed monsters.

If anyone has done this swap or knows where the hell to find the parts i need let me know as spring is coming and i miss her already!!!!!
thanks
chris

T-56 is doable but it will require fabrication. First the T-56 usually uses a mechanical clutch, so the bellhousing needs to be drilled for the clutch line and bleed screw, and the front of the trans has to be drilled and tapped to mount the slave cylinder. Next is the driveshaft which may have to be custom length. But the fabrication comes in when we talk shifters, the M5R2 is longer and the shifter is farther back than the T-56. I've seen one article where a shifter tower was cut from a T-5 and welded behind the normal one so that it would line up, then the rod was lengthened. That's basically all that's involved.

but most of the ones I've looked at where a direct fit for a T-5 so the shifter is in the same place, this may still be a feasible.

you guys answered my questions! i think if i can get some numbers on the size of the six speed i will see if i feel like **** with the shifter. that was my main concern other than the bellhousing bolting up to the block and the clutch outputs matching. would i have to use a clutch for that trans or will the bird clutch work?

thanks guys

I'm not 100% sure on the clutch, but the opinion I've heard so far is that the SC clutch will work, I think it is a little tighter clearance than stock but it should work. If you can figure something on the shifter let us know. Thus far there have been many people talking of swapping in a T-56 but I have yet to see results. I've been doing some homework on this and if a simple way can be found to fix the shifter problem, 6 speed kits may not be very far off. Now if only I could make a richmond 6 speed fit, but the shifter on the side doesn't help much.

Last edited:
well i think i might try it because i dont really feel like *** with the m5r2 when you cant readily get parts for. The problem is going to be finding a T56. anyone know all the cars that this trans was in so i can try and find a used one??

if i figure sumtin out ill let yall know

chris

You'll want one with a decent torque rating plus if you go non-Ford, you may have problems with wiirig. The only Ford I know of with a T-56 is the 03 Cobra, either that or look for an aftermarket one.

mn12sc35th said:
You'll want one with a decent torque rating plus if you go non-Ford, you may have problems with wiirig. The only Ford I know of with a T-56 is the 03 Cobra, either that or look for an aftermarket one.

the o3 cobra was the only one i could think of either, good call on the wiring, didnt think of that!

thanks
chris

Damn I didn't realize how much higher the gearing is in the T-56 (at least the 03 Cobra unit)

T-56
2.66 1st
178 2nd
1.30 3rd
1.00 4th
.80 5th
.63 6th

You could run 3.73 rear gears and still have a higher first than the your (94-95) stock (my first (89-93) is still a bit lower)

I'm thinking this with some 4.10's would be nice.

yeh you know i was thinking the same thing. i didnt get around to cking the math on it but i was thinking it was gonna require a set of 410s just to get a decent launch

chris

Here's some of the math behind it:

89-93 M5R2 (3.75 First) (Max reasonable ratio is 3.27)
2.73 Rear = 10.2
3.08 Rear = 11.6
3.27 Rear = 12.1

94-95 M5R2 (3.42 First) (Max is 3.55)
2.73 Rear = 9.3
3.08 Rear = 10.5
3.27 Rear = 11.2
3.55 Rear = 12.1

T-56 (2.66 First)

3.55 Rear = 9.44
3.73 Rear = 9.92
4.10 Rear = 10.9
4.30 Rear = 11.4
4.56 Rear = 12.1

I was thinking of 3.08s with my M5R2 so I'd probably go with 4.30's maybe 4.56 (but some think the older M5R2 with a 3.27 is a little high)

Actually, MN12 Performance has that backwards if that's where you got it from (I looked there to find a blow up of the M5R2 for my dad). My 91 shop manual shows first as 3.75. Ford lowered the gearing (numerically) in the 94-95 due to the increase in power (my guess is for better fuel milage considering 94-95's have an 34.5# injectors compared to the 30# in the earlier cars).

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=85.topic&index=2

Last edited:
huh yup thats where i was getting it from but if your almighty shop manual says thats correct than that be the way! sorry to correct you when i was wrong.lol thanks for that!

chris

Hey no prob, sometimes that's the only way to find out. I wonder if mn12performance even knows there specs are backwards?

probably not because when i was trouble shooting my ARC he had the numbers for jumping the terminal to flash trouble codes wrong. i sent him a quick email and he corrected it. i send him one on this and see whats up

also i contacted Tremec and they said they do not make a bellhousing for our block. i guess someone could make one unless its the same as either the 5.0 or 4.6 caus they offer ones for both. also he sent me some specs on measurements of the t56 so if anyone has a spare m5 laying around could you throw up some numbers preferably in metric of the width, legth from bell housing to shifter and overall length and height/

thanks guys

Yeah, I emailed him about the ratios and he said the 94-95 ratios are correct from the 95 Shop manual. The bell housing from a 5.0 should fit. I know it will bolt up. I have an M5 mostly boxed up to send to my dad for a rebuild (I've never done trannys, plus he's buying the parts, my xmas gift this year). One end of the box is still open so I can get your specs.

Back