EEC tuner compatibility

V8Supercoupe

I have a tuner for sale and have gotten bombed with responses by people who have different computers than the one my current tuner is configured for. My current computer is U2Y. If one were to take their non-U2Y cmputer and swap it for a U2Y, would that work?

I need some clarification,
thanks

Skip

heres the scoop!:
if you have an SC the tuner will work regardless. The EEC MUST BE REPROGRAMED for the new car unless this one is exactly the same with the same mods. You can get a custom tuned file for your specific mods from DR. Fred as i did for i think its $25 or something like that. Its a great deal IMHO. but yes the tuner will work on a computer not the same calibration it will just have to be reprogramed.
Be careful as trying to use a Pentium 4 computer with the board does not work! there is a problem with the software and Spyro is working on the fix now as i was told.

Chris

Skip

Skip...I need a favor! You said you had a U2Y eec code on your tuner, right? If so, let me know. I am talking to Tweecer (Mike Glover) about getting a turner for my bird, but the U2Y engine code doesn't sound right to him. Could you send me the Binary file for your car so we can check it for compatiblity? I would really appericate it! Let me know if you have that info regardless.
Much thanks,
TBSCoupe

JWHAYS@mercymiami.org

I would be leary of running a custom file for one car in another car, even if they were the same computer family. Like was mentioned before the cars would need the same kind of injectors, MAF, etc. for that to work. Whoever buys the tuner should get a new file.

Now there were some capatibilty issues between the old and new versions of firmware on the tuner board itself. The old boards with the earlier ROM version would work with all families of SC computer, but the later ones did not work with some families. I would have to defer to Rich T., Fred H. or Spiro G. to answer exactly what those issues were.

I am not 100% sure if this was in response to my post, or directly to Skip, but allow me to retort. In me asking Skip for a Binary, I have no interest in running his file for my car, but am just interested in check the binary differences for the U2Y family EEC code to make sure it has the same paths. Mike does not list a U2Y family EEC tuner and is leary of shipping one off to find that it does not work. This is open to anyone then, if you run a tuner with an U2Y EEC code, drop me a line. I want to send any possible binary to Mike so he can check the paths.
Thanks and George, this was not intended for me, then sorry, I just wanted to clarify.
TBSCoupe

No, TBSCoupe, that response was not directed at you.

But for your request, you will need to get the binary files (I think the Tuner can dump by banks) to do your compares. The actual "tuner files" even when pulled from the EEC can differ in structure depending on which version of the Tuner software is in use.

It also sounds like you are trying to get one of the tuners that is designed for a Mustang. It is my understanding that you need one that has ROM specifically for the 'Bird, but I have never been able to verify that. Again, the guys mentioned before would know that answer.

I think maybe all the tuners can read the hex code of the EEC, the real trick is having the software to know what each hex code means. That varies from EEC to EEC.

Sorry for the delay in response.

The tuner I have never got to the point where a program was uploaded to it. I was still waiting to get my engine together and all the components on before having Fred write me a program. I guess there is a way you can upload your OEM program to the tuner, but like I said, I never used the tuner.

Skip

The EEC-Tuner is just a piece of hardware that interfaces with an EEC-IV or EEC-V PCM. The trick is to find the correct .dat file for your particular PCM (in my case T4J1) and then create a .cal file to download to the tuner. I have the same model and version tuner in both my '95 SC and '98 Cobra.

The only issues I know of are EEC-Tuner hardware version compatability issues. In my case, neither of my cars will work with a tuner version newer than V5.1.

Back