Intakes?

T1Bird

Alright, when I first started looking for Intakes for my SC, I was just going to get a Mac CAI.. after noticing he other guys here in ontario, alot have them and no one seems to have a ZR.
So I wanted to get a ZR, but my problem here is im having a hell of a time finding the ZR, BTM is hard to deal with im finding, and deals with paypal, and paypall sucks, so i do not want to take that route.

Is there much difference between the ZR and the MAC? I can easily pick up a MAC for 320 canadian, but the ZR will give me a problem I think to get a hold of,

I was just hoping you guys would have some imput for me, as to what i should make my final decision as what to buy

Thank you

I have heard of many people that have problems with the mac. Mostly you have to retate the MAF so that the signal isn't as high. One guy recently had 6V output from the MAF. I think that 4.75 is about max that the computer can handle.

Jeff

Mac looks and sounds good, but I think it throws your MAF reading off, and for that reason alone I'm not putting one on my car.

i am personally loookin at this intake. its straight (no bends), not as expensive as others i have seen... and it loooks like the stock one (read the find print, it says they only have black ones now, not silver) (i want to keep my engine bay lookin close to stock for now so when i whoop a ricer they will think they were beat by a relatively stock ford).

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/air.htm

any complaints about this intake?

Bruce have you ever noticied that the MAF on my car had been rotated? Just as the other say, you will have to do this, I have yet to find a problem though.

Why are so set on the ZR? The MAC is nice, just more bends, I'm not a fan of that either, but hey, can't win them all.

At the dyno on saturday, I was hoping to get a few pulls with the asa it sits now. I'm going to play with the mAF, see what happens.

nervekiler said:
i am personally loookin at this intake. its straight (no bends), not as expensive as others i have seen... and it loooks like the stock one (read the find print, it says they only have black ones now, not silver) (i want to keep my engine bay lookin close to stock for now so when i whoop a ricer they will think they were beat by a relatively stock ford).

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/air.htm

any complaints about this intake?

I'm with you on this one, I think I'm decided. I don't see how it could be significantly less effective than the ZR/MAC just because of the filter location. Been thinking about it, and you still have the same size fender hole to deal with and I don't think engine bay heat will get to it any more than the others (IMO).

I have that intake on my car right now. It works ok, but I can't hear my blower over my exhaust unless I'm at like 10 psi. The problem with it is you still have the filter up top in the compartment. The ZR and MAC both place it under the fender/bumper so you have air blowing across it and it can suck in a lot more air. From the MAF up to the TB they all perform similar.

I am getting a ZR as soon as I can find one.

I may be showing my inexperience, but I don't see how the filter up there is a problem. It's not exposed since it's in the box with the opening to the fender area. I'm not familiar with it up under there though, still have the air silencer in, but is there actually a lot of high pressure air flow under there to really benefit from it? Sent an email weeks ago about the ZR, never got a reply. Even if there's a difference, is it significant HP or like 1HP difference and not worth worrying about?

well if it would be a corncern about the $180 intake not gettin enough fresh air, i could always cut the bottom area out and put some chicken wire down there in place of the metal underneath the intake and then find a way to seperate the air from inside the engine bay from the air goin into the intake.

that intake i pointed out seems to be the best for the money to me. and its got the stock appearance which i really like. :)

one question... what is that little nipple comin out of the side of the straight peice of pipe? does that connect to the EGR?

For awhile I was running my own CAI. From the mass air forward I used aluminum dryer duct(3.5", from Home Depot). Went from the mass air meter, bent down through the hole in passenger fender to the very front bottom of the bumper cover. I then attached a 6" conical K&N with a 3.5 opening. Not the classiest piece but I was definitely getting cold air, dirt, rain, etc.... but since the filters use oil, I believe that repels some of the moisture.

Had a ZR intake w/3" pipe and now have the MP 3.5" intake and their cool air divider box. At first I didn't like the way it looks, now it's starting to grow on me. I've got some special weather stripping to seal the top edge against the hood. It has a large hole that pulls air in from the fender.

I really wanted a 3.5" version of the ZR but no one offered one. It was either get the Magnum Powers unit or build a custom one. Works fine in the winter, but I'm not sure how well it will work this summer. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Here are pics with both the ZR and the MP intake system.

engine123102.jpg

engine%20013003.jpg

David

David, think of all that new area to chrome and polish up. The divider and all of the interior!! Mirror finish all the way!

My dreams, my plans. MP Air divider plus dual NACA ducts cut into my hood with a custom built plenum to channel the air from the ducts into the area of the MP Air divider. So there shouldn't be any question of enough air.

But even without the extra ir, the hole in the fender is plenty sufficient for what our engine can suck down.

Back