Supercharger on LX????

Mike Combs

I left a post a while back asking if installing a SC on a 91 LX3.8 is possible. I received messages saying that I need the forged crank, thicker block, and heads of a SC for it to last.

I'm writing again because I have heard of many people who have installed them on "naturally aspirated" 3.8L Mustangs and have been very happy. They didn't even change the injectors. The mustang 3.8 is identicle to the LX 3.8.

To someone who has done it: Can I do this??
1) Will the engine last?
2) Can I run my stock 19lb injectors, or because of a lean condition at full throttle do I need 30lb injectors?
3) If I do upgrade my injectors, do I need to install an SC computer?
4) Can I rig the intercooler behind my LX radiator, or do I need the SC radiator with the intercooler support?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 225
1. No one really knows, most people shoot the idea down without firsthand knowlege.

2. 30# injectors will get you to about 300hp crank. So you would need a FMU. The pump might not handle the increased pressure.

3. You can probably get away with a C&L MAF with the correct calibration tube (Contact C&L). Pro-M also sells a MAF to fool the computer for using larger injectors, but it's a $100 if you need to make adjustments (it has to be sent in to be recalibrated, C&L you change a $40 sampling tube)

4. Probably not without cutting and rewelding the IC tubes, then you might also run into other clearence problems.

Jeff

You may want heads from a SC or Mustang still. The 89-95 NA 3.8 has 8 coolant passages around each cylinder, which is one of the reasons NA hg's fail just as easily as SC's . The SC/Mustang heads have 5 passages. Check this out for more info: http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/PDF's/InternalsComparison.pdf

Also if you're looking to use the entire SC setup, you will most likely have to change your ignition setup to DIS as I don't think the distributor will fit with the SC in place (the mustangs already have DIS).

Like Jeff said most people shoot the idea down. Personally, I looked at it before I got my SC, but when you look at all the things that had to be done to make the SC reliable, I decided against it too, mainly becasue that's an expensive mistake to learn if it doesn't last.

Manny somebody should have bought you a new digital camera for XMas. Your stuff is neat but it's so hard to see. Maybe the SCCOA should have a digital camera donor club.

Back