Humming from the gas tank

92SCDoughboy

when i am in my car, for the last little while, i hear a humming coming from the gas tank area, is this a sign that my fuel pump is dying, and if so, any ideas as to how long i might have left.

There's no telling. I have some that made noise from the day they were installed, and ones that never made a sound b4 they died. When it stops making noise is when you need to worry.

Jeff

Most likely you can drive with a loud pump for a long time. My car had a noisy pump and I only changed it because it was anoying. My dad has been a sevice manager for a Ford dealership 20 years and he says that the pumps get noisy long before the fail.

When you do replace the pump make sure you have a new oring for the tank. The old one will swell when it is pulled. If you try to install a swollen oring it might not seal right. They sometimes contract if you allow them to dry for a day or so.

My bro has a mustang 89 and the fuel pump is quite loud, So far so good,actually a lot of people said that was common on the mustangs, probably just from the age so I'll have to agree with J57ltr that the fuel pump probably will last a long time like that.

Mine rumbled and worked fine but I got a 190 LPH Walbro and swapped out the old pump. The pump could have failed or it may have went on for years. I didn't want to be stranded on the side of the road, and the noise was getting on my nerves. I could hear mine inside the car it was so loud. If you only hear a humm from outside it might be alright.

Back