Head Gaskets AAAAHHHHHH!

Edman1000

Just bought this ?@#$@@ thing, Now it needs head gaskets. Anybody everpaid to get this done. I'm too lazy, have no garage and it's february. What's an exceptable price? I live near detroit, any one want a side job??? It's a '90 XR-7, 79,000mi.

$1300-$1700 seems to be the going rate. I was quoted $1700, but I live in LA where everything is $$$, and that was by a high end shop.

Doin it myself

Well, I just going to go ahead and do it. I got better thing I can do with my cash. Just wanted to ask you guys, what else can I do cheaply while the heads are off? I'm going to get them surfaced and a valve job. What about porting? Anybody ever port there own? And what about the rest? Can I do anything to the intakes or the charger while it's apart?

I ported my own heads. I didn't mess with the intake side since it didn't look like I could do much to it, but the exhaust side I opened up the ports and smoothed out the lip. After using the cutting bit I used a polishing bit and went over it to smooth everything out. Then put the valves back in and used some grinding compound on them to get a fresh seat. Then put the stem seals on, springs and clips, and put them on the car.

I had them milled first obviously.

I did the same thing but on the intake side I just did a gasket match and polished things up. Did you remove that casting ring around the exhaust valve stem scott?

how do yhou know if the go?

I'm thinking that my head gaskets are blown because i have white stuff in my oil and it getting really hot?? How can i tell tthe car still start up?

THanks

Jerry

White stuff?

If you oil is grayish or white-ish, then the coolant is probably getting into your oil which means ....you've been blown! sux don't it! Pull out your plugs and see if any of them appear to be "washed" or white looking. You can also run a compression check. I called a dealer and they told me for 50 bucks they have a check they can run to see if they are blown.

Back