70 mm throttle body-

hytorksc

Can anyone here remind me of all the benefits (in detail) to installing one?

Drive-ability improvements?

Increased torque/hp and at what rpm range?

Increased boost?

Are there any negatives as opposed to the stock TB?

Does it really make a difference- can you feel it?

thanks-

I love mine!

I picked up a dyno proven +9 rwhp on a 85 degree day after I installed mine a few years back. My car is fairly close to stock.

The bolt-on was pretty easy per the instructions and the car ran like new both before and after the install.

The HP curve of the 70mm throttle body was above the old HP curve for the entire rpm range, but the +9 max hp came around 4,000 rpms if I recall.

Oh yeah, the BBK 70mm throttle body looks better than the stock tb, too. It was win-win and well worth the $245 I spent.

Edit
WTH??? I've been here since 1996 and I'm a "SC Newbie"???
Thanks, George!

thanks phil

9 rwhp is alot considering that it's actually around 20% more at the engine shaft. Did you feel any response changes? Do you have to press the accelerator hard to get wheelspin or is it much easier to spin it?

Right now with the stock TB my wheels will spin until i get to 25+ mph on asphalt before hooking up at WOT, 40 degrees outside and very dry.

Isn't that a little weak? I used to get them to spin up to 45-50mph before hooking up

Well if you want to go fast, I wouldn't worry about how far you can spin your tires. Unless you want to burn them up or show off.

I can get you a pretty good price on a 70mm TB if you are interested. Shoot me an email. scott-long@yahoo.com

Scott-

i use wheelspin to determine by feel how much torque i might have gained or lost by a mod. For example i have just discovered that on a stock SC pulley i can get spin up to 25 mph, but on a 5% overdrive i can get spin up to 40-45 mph on the same road, same conditions. i know that this is counter productive to going fast, but it's all i have to feel the differences in hp and torque i'm producing (aside from timing the car with a stop watch). Plus it's fun to me, which is primarily why i bought this car. if i wanted to go faster than 13's in the quarter for less money, i would have bought a different car.

I will email you today about the TB.

thanks-

Hard to say...

I don't know if I can honestly say I can feel a +10 hp difference.
That's why I did a dyno test with this mod.
I wanted to know what I got with a before/after bolt-on.

i use wheelspin to determine by feel how much torque i might have gained or lost by a mod.

I used to do the same thing, it's a good seat of the pants dyno. Now it spins the tires too easy in 1st or 2nd and hits the rev limiter if you floor it. It even spins them in 3rd if not going over 55 mph when you floor it.

BTW, I'm 46 and it's still fun.

David

Dave

I can get spin only in 1st and maybe 2nd. But then again i have an aod that feels like a rubber band. My mods are somewhat custom and extensive (air flow improvements and intake porting short of head work) but not as significant as say adding all magnum powers pieces. But i will not lie to you- i have not installed an upgraded exhaust yet either. I ported my collectors and did something with the outlet of the resonator. I doubt this did much if anything. Boost is at 17 psi peak.
I did time the car with a stop watch on 30-50, 50-70, 80-100 mph with my 5% sc pulley back on and the numbers were impressive to me. Adding a 1/4 second for each timing for errors, and compiling all the numbers, i find my car to be on par with an SS Z28 or a Toyota Supra turbo up to 100 mph.

But you know, i naturally want to go faster- like a mid 11 second car. too bad the SC requires a ton of money to force it to do this. when i first joined this forum over a year ago, i didn't have much indepth knowledge about the SC. I have learned quite a bit from browsing this forum and it's nice that guys like yourself and others here have already been down the road i am going. Although i like the manners of the 3.8 v6, it does have some deep breathing issues. i would still like to drop a 351 windsor turbo in it (someone probably did this already) to get a reliable 11 or 10 second SC. i would like to lay down 1/8 mile long tire marks on the ground without getting caught. i would love to rocket from 60 to 100 in less than 4 seconds and embarass someone who spent $100k plus on a new exotic out on the freeway. And the SC still looks sharp to me.

i'm not expecting a reply to this.. just wanted to release my thoughts right now.

Last edited:
Back