Can't get the bolt off,and want to part car out,

thunderbird89sc

ok so i need to change my rearwheel bearing and cant get the brake braket off,and i have broke just about every tool i own tryng to get this damn thing off, I only have wrenchs sockets, and i was wondering if anyone could help me out, im in normal Ilinois if no one can come here, could someone help me find a way to get this off, any ideas. and even i get the braket off, i still cant et the nuts off to get the knuckel out, in others words HELP

Matt

What kind of tools are you using? Anything that says "made in China" or "made in India" isn't real suitable for working on a car in my opinion. Get some high quality tools (Craftsmen have always worked well for me). You may also want to invest in a small propane torch and some PB Blaster (rust penetrant). I usually use the torch to heat the female piece up a little and usually have success. Be patient, it may take a couple of cycles of heating and wrenching before you break it free.

Matt, just my thoughts? Kevin's on the money. A torch is sometimes the best way for these things. And remember too as you are applying torque to the bolt, don't yank. Give it a steady increasing pressure and that may save some of the tools.

Good luck.

one bolt off

Well I did get the Top knuckle bolt off, I was thinking that if i can get the knuckle off, then i can have a friend of mine that works at a shop get the braket off. I got some pb blaster. The are little "bearings falling out behind the hub, I am hoping those are part of the wheel bearing and that I did not mess anything else up, i got the new hub and bearing and I just need to get the knuckle off. Where can i get a Cheap tourch, I was even standing on the wrench and it did move at all. Maybe my uncle can come over and help me out, meanwhile i am driving a rusted out no exust having 77' buick, in other words, im sick of people laughing at the car i drive i want my baby back.

Matt

lefty-loosy, righty-tighty

Not to upset anyone so I'll ask as tenderly as possible...

Are you absolutely sure you're tuning the bolt in the right direction?

'bird

I don't want to tighten it, i want the damn thing to come off, but yes i am, i know i am stupid thats why i checked just to make sure. i was think maybe i should tell Pres bush i have a germ bomb in my car or something so he will nuke it. maybe that will get the damn thing off, its 14 degrees outside so its kinda cold, im getting sick of working on this.

Any ideas where to get a trouch

You can pick up a propane torch at Wallyworld or just about anywhere, usually less than $15. Be carefull when heating, make sure you concentrate on the bolt because the brake fluid inside the caliper could boil and things could get un-funny real quick.

keep us posted,

'bird

That car has been on fire so may times it ain't funny, i will i am thinking about going out and getting one now, i'll let you guys know how it goes.

thats one small bolt for the bird, one big bolt for matt

Ok so i went to walmart and got a trouch and i came back and tried and the braket bolt would not come off, so i tried the knuckle nut closest to the front and it came off after some time now the bolt won't come out, so i was thinking hell its after 5 am and i am outside in the dark with a trouble light in the parking lot of my apt building maybe i should go to bed and try again later. i just hope i don't dream about this. so ill try again in the morning. oh and its 3 degrees out side with a windchill of -14 so maybe ill wait til like oh JUNE. nah i miss her to much. any more ideas would be great all i got to work with here is and tools from china and a 15 dollar trouch.

you guys are great.

Matt

Just to be sure you're heating the right part.. metal expands when heated, so if you heat the bolt itself, you're expanding it and making it tighter. You want to heat the metal that the bolt is screwed into. In this case, the bracket. And if its a propane torch, you're not likely to hurt anything with it, just go for a few seconds at a time, then tap lightly with a hammer; heat some, tap some, try to loosen some. Also, be sure you're using a 6 sided socket on the bolt so that it doesn't get rounded off.

caliperbracket.jpg

O.k... I just checked my pictures from when I did my rear brakes. Bolts on the rear brakes can be a real issue. If you haven't already stripped off the head of the bolt, you need to get leverage...leverage..leverage. Either you'll twist the bolt off (then you can just get the broken part drilled out) or it will come loose.

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty. And that's with you looking at the head of the bolt.

Next, you need a 1/2" 6point socket and a 15" breaker bar.
00944201000-dlv.jpg

Then if you need to get even more serious with it pickup a 2 foot piece of conduit from the hardware store.

The soak the heck out of the bolt with a liquid wrench type penetrating oil. Smack it with a hammer a bit to help the fluid migrate into the threads. Let it sit for a couple hours.

Then try to get it with the 15" breaker bar. If that's not enough, cut a piece of conduit short enough to fit in the space. You may need to pound one end to oval it out so it can fit on the end of the wrench. Then slip it on the end of the wrench and work the bolt some more. If a 15" breaker bar, plus 8" of conduit doesn't break it loose, or twist it off, you're hurting.

You might grab a friend and have them heat the edge of the bracket while you tap on the end of the breaker bar with a 3 lb. sledge. But really the 15" bar alone shoudl be sufficient.

You must have 1/2" and 6point otherwise the socket or the wrench could break.

keep heating for like 3 minutes each bolt with the torch on full!!, theres blue loc-tite on those bolts

Ok so i got the nuts off

Well after a lot of swearing, i got the brake braket off, and the three nuts off that hold the knuckle on, and one of the bolts out, the top on slid right off, but the bottom two, will turn but i can't get the bolts off. and i was wondering if an impact wrench would help. after 1 week of trying i want my damn car back.

matt

Here's how I get mine off. (I know you already have them off, but for future reference.)
The bolts that hold the rear knuckles in place almost seem to be welded in place, and can be a pain to loosen. (And of course you have to get these off so you can have your rear rotors turned or replaced). If you do not have an impact wrench, then to make this job easier, do this. You will need a 6 sided 15MM open end wrench. and a sledge hammer. Put the wrench on the bolts and tap it with the sledge hammer. This will release the bolts. A regular hammer just doesn't have enough mass to do this.
So far it's worked for me every time.

A 3lb Sledge is every mechanic's friend!

You might need to take a bolt or something to tap against the end of the bolt to push it through.

Tap.. tap.. tap. Be careful of the threads and spray some penetrating oil in there.

ok well i got all but one bolt out, now the last bolt wont even turn with an impact so i am going to cut the damn thing off and get a new bolt and be happy, i no longer have time to deal with it, my back up car is dead, so i need this SC, and i MISS it too. well ill let ya know how it goes.

thanks guys

Matt

Well i got the bolt out and the new bearing anf hub pressed and in, so everything is goo,d thanks guys i could no have done it with out you.

Matt

Back