which brake pads??? and some other brake ???s

sizemoremk

which brake pads??? and some other brake ???s and upgrade questions...

1990 auto ...stock

OK which pads?

I see raybestos performance friction carbon metallic is a popular choice...

and I hear about "KVR"s and ceramic pads, I read they don't transfer heat away fast enough....and will warp rotors..

Mine are working, but I'm just not satisfied with them, and think they are cheaper brake pads, and the tire/brake shop guy just bled an filled them....?He says that they might just be low quality pads....so what should I do???

This is my second tbird (both 1990 auto) and I beleive I remember it stoping better...

Other possibilities:
I got a very occasional [rare] brake light (the red one) for a few seconds [1-3] at a time during mild to heavier braking such as slowing down to get off highway...working, but they just felt a little mushy, so thats when I had the brake guy bleed and fill.....and I haven't seen this light again... after this, I haven't seen the light again, and they feel better....just not like I'd like em.

I also notice it takes a good 11-12 presses of the brakes to make the red and amber lgihts come on in the dash, but I can only press it twice before I hear the brake pump come on....

Is this right? Or is an accumulator or something going to need replacing soon???

Can cheap pads make that big a difference????

I think my rotors are good, and I hear some horror stories about rotors...so I'm also reluctant to have em turned....the surfaces seem good to me, so I may just leave them be. Any suggestions on those???

Also kind of curious about what other brake upgrades are available...such as cobra or MKVII setups....What kind of $$$ is that ???

Last edited:
The first problem you had with the light coming on is the system needing blead. for some reason on these cars when you open the system the light will come on until you bleed the complete system.
Performance Friction Carbon Metalic pads are the best! yes it will make a large difference! these rotors were desingned from the factory to work better once they smooth over that is why they seem bad when first turned. they must be broken in after you turn them. I wouldnt recomend turning them unless your pedal is pulsating or you have glazed them over.
SuperCoupePerformance sells a great number of big brake kits now and they are great!

Not sure what the other problem is sorry
Chris

Thanks guy,

I read where anohter guy gets 6-8 pedal presses before the pump comes on....mine comes on ever other press....

Could this make a difference in the brake performance????

honestly i have no idea. i am still in school and we havent gotten that far in our brake lab yet. at work i havent seen any cars come in with a problem like that so i dont know what to tell you.

ill check back tomorrow morning and if someone hasnt replied yet i will call my dad, and he will have the answer.

chris

thanks man, but that question was re-iterated for the general population here:D

I read in several post an I hear 1-3 presses is OK before the pump comes on, and then I read 3 is the minimum , and then 4-5 is the min???

The lights don't come on until 10-12 pumps, and each time it cycles only a few seconds before they go out.....but it cycles the pump a few seconds with every other pedal press.....

Forget supercoupeperformance for most parts, Bill overprices things, you can go to Autozone and pick up the Carbon Metallic Performance friction pads for less and better yet there is no shipping. Bill just charged me 100 bucks for a rear suspension air bag kit that I later found on Jegs for 60 bucks. And if you get the pads from Autozone they have a lifetime warranty, when they go bad you just take them back and they give you new ones for free.

1bad if you read what i wrote i siad that bill offers a whole slew of big brake kits now! not get the pfcm pads from him.

yes he does overprice some things but most is a good deal and he is great to deal with,especially with hard to find and specialty stuff.

Also lets not forget why we have this site: BILL! thank you

chris

What is involved in a 11.6 inch swap for the brakes?
Is this only an option for the front???

I would need: spindles, sway bar end links, calipers,.... and of course bigger rotors n' pads.... is this it???

maybe I could find these pretty cheap.... what year Mark VIIIs, and the 97 bird would also do this????? Is this an 97 bird, or was the bigger brakes optional???

I really love good brakes ... and i had a very minor "bumping of a minivan in the rear" a week ago, but I also think my former lincoln towncar

Don't get me wrong he is very good to deal with I just would rather not have him make a 100% profit off of me that is all, You know how much it sucks to buy stuff and then find it 50% cheaper somewhere else. Not trying to bad mouth Bill, just upset that I didn't find the air kit sooner. LOL oh well.

was it the exact same kit and that is the first thing that i have seen that he was that far off on price. the majority of his stuff is not priced that bad and he doesnt try to make a 100% profit off of people.

chris

Back