fuel tank removal

Emu Bird

Is it necessary to drop the exhaust system to remove the fuel tank on an 89 sc? I know on some birds its a must. From a glance it appears that the exhaust system is channeled around the fuel tank. I 've checked the search, and archives but could not find any firm answers. I intend to drop the tank and replace the vent hoses and do a fuel pump upgrade. Thanks for any assistance.:(

Yep the back half of the exhuast has to come off. If you look close above the exhuast pipe, part of the tank is above it. The exhuast isn't too hard to pull. Two bolts at the flange and 3 hangers that slide out. The hangers for the mufflers can be a pain, a good pry bar helps.

Thanks mn12sc35th for the quick reply, at least I don't have to drop the whole system. What flow pump should I use

Depends on what you plan to do as far as mods go. If you're just looking at a few bolt ons and sticking to stock injectors (300hp or less) the 190 lph is fine. Personally I would probably end up with the 255 just because I never can decide how far I want to go powerwise. The larger pump won't hurt anything (after all it only gets as much gas as the computer will allow) so if your funds allow, I would go with it.

Back