What Color?

38SCPROJECT

Here is what I need to know.... I have a 92 SC... and I am currently rebuilding the engine, I have the block striped clean and it is ready for paint, however I need to know what color the block was from the factory. It appears the block was painted black from day 1.... but it is flaked and it is very hard to tell. I need to know if it is flat black, gloss black, grey, ect. Also what color is the timing cover, it appears like it may have been painted grey but I am not sure.

I was really hoping that there is someone out there with a 50,000 mile car that the paint was still intact.

Thanks for the help

Also what color does a ford reman engine come?

Tim

BOB

Well, kinda.

Before I bought the car, I purchased another SC engine to install in another project, so I decide to tear into it rather than the one in the car. When I get the motor out of the car I think I am going to pull the heads and see what is going on inside. I probably could have gotten away with just putting head gaskets on it, but I'd hate to go through all of that work, just to find out it had a rod knock or something that I missed before.
I am going to pull the AOD when I get the motor out and go through it too, when I bought it, the last owner told me that OD was gone, but it seemed ok on the way home, but the car was running like crap (bad cam sensor) so it was hard to verify anything.
I really like the car, so I think it will be worth the money that I am going to put in it.

Tim

Yes, I think you got a good deal also. $800 for a car in that shape is a steal.

The previous owner bought a white 5.0 LX that was traded in at the BMW dealer that he works at. He didn't seem like he had much faith in trying to fix up the SC.

Good Luck,

Bob

Oh,
That was the mustang he was driving right. I saw it a the dealer when I went to look at the car. I thought to myself when I saw it, that the SC was a much nicer project car.
He told me that he didn't know much about the SC and neither did the BWM mechanics, so he was just going to fix up the mustang. I seem to remember the mustang had alot of rust on it.
I looked the SC over really well after I got it home and lucky it has no rust so I am good to go.

I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

You bought a 94 - 95 right... instead of this one..... send me an email of yours when you get a chance.

Thanks
Tim

The white LX did have a lot of rust. I couldn't believe that he would give up the SC with great potential for a Mustang that had rust on it. My 90 5.0 LX started rusting on the hatch back below the wing so the whole car was painted.

I'll take a digital photo today and e-mail it to you. I start it up once a week, let it reach operating temp, drive it on my street and park it.

Bob

Yes I got lucky on this car (I think so) It doesn't have any rust on it at all. That was the most important thing to me anyways. The interior was in great shap to so I can concerntrate on more important things. I think the only reason that he let me have the car so cheaply is because 1, I had cash and 2, (more importantly) is that I came 3 days before christmass with cash.

I think that is going to be a nice project when I'm done.

Tim

Back