Changing spark plugs

radiorick

I have yet to change plugs in my '89 SC. How hard is it? Is there any tricks to getting to those suckers? The car is running great with 33,000 miles on her. I'm just thinking posible early summer changing them. What are the best plugs to use? I 've always used bosch Platinum in my other Birds. Thanks Rick

Last edited:
I use the stock plugs AWSF34PP gapped at about .045. If it is running good and getting good gas mileage I would be hesitant to change them. The stock plugs are good for 60,000 miles plus depending on how well it is maintained. If it's not broke don't fix it.

The plugs are somewhat difficult and can be done using a combination of wrenching from the top and the bottom of the car. The drivers side can be done in about 15-20 minutes from underneath the car. The passenger side is the side that takes all of the time 45-60 minutes. The plug closest to the firewall from under neath and the other two are a combination of underneath and top access. You have to remove the air intake to get to the pass side of the car. Bear in mind that the times that I am telling you are after you have done it once or twice. The first time will most likely take you longer and involve a few choice words!

Have you changed the wires and fuel filter? If you are going to change the plugs you may as well do the wires because they are 10 years old.

The car will let you know when it needs new plugs by how it runs. I recently purchased another SC, a 95SC with 110,000 miles on it that had the original plugs in it. It idled fine but when you hit the gas it bucked and surged. When I changed the plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve and worn out K&N it ran like a new car.

I hope this helps.

Bob

The plugs are not that hard. I did it for the first time and it took me an hour. Get yourself a 12" extension and one of those swivle connectors and you can get them from the top. Remove your TB, and inlet tube to get to the passenger side. Start with that side and do the hardest ones first, that way you end with the easy ones and won't get to pissed off. Only go with the plugs Robert mentiond, they are $13 a plug from the dealer, at least that is what they were going to charge me but they dropped it down to $8. You can also get Autolight plugs from supercoupeperformance for $6 ea. but then you have to pay shipping. Get new wires, but don't go with Ford, get the magnecor wires. The book calls for .054 gap, I have been told to go with .052 to allow for wear of the plug. Be careful when you put them in not to smash the electorode or you will screw up the gap. Torque calls for 80-180 in. lbs and that is less than 20 ftlbs, so snug them up good and that should work. Put antisize on the plugs to help you the next time you take them out. You will have to work blind for most of the plugs, but be patient and take your time. Good Luck.

Thanks guys!!! Can't get any better help than what you guys posted. This will be a big help. Thanks Rick

Back