Cam? Tearing her down anyway Any other Mods?

Edman1000

Got to do the head gaskets anyway, so I was figuring maybe I'll throw a cam in 'er. Does anyone know of a good cam? Prices? Any other mods I can do when she's torn down

as for a cam, you might want to check out dr. fred, i hear his are very good. another thing that would be a good idea is to port&polish the heads or get new, higher flowing heads. that's a good start. anyone have anything else to add?

You might also want to add headers or at least port your exhaust manifolds. If you are looking for some more power then I would deffinitly have your heads ported and get some roller rockers. You could also have your intake manifold port matched to your heads. Oh, and replace your water pump why you have every thing apart. Just some places to start.

Nick

head-ers

IS there a set of headers that will bolt right into place so no mods need to be done to the stock exhaust? (yet)

I am new to this stuff myself, but from what I have learned about these cars you should be doing the exhaust at the same time you stuff that cam in their. Otherwise you might be pulling those heads again real soon. I am rebuilding my engine with a few mods and also have the stock exhaust. I will be going with the ported manifolds for now. Still I will be getting my car to the exhaust shop (or installing the SCP system) soon after I get my engine running again. Good luck.

Rick

Dr. Fred and Steigemeyer also offer head and cam packages as well as EEC tuning. Fred had some pretty good rates last time I checked.

camshafts

Weazer is right. I sure dont know everything there is to know about these cars but, Exhaust is critical If you start to try and build power. If you dont do something to improve the exhaust you will blow another head gasket. Tim

I know, I know

I know I have to do the exhaust, but for now I can't. So is there a header that will bolt right into place? What about a bolt in exhaust system? No cats, no resonator, maybe 2 mufflers at the end?

All the headers will bolt right into place... Just with the backpressure from the stock exhaust, your gaskets WILL NOT last long....

Anthony

I KNOW!

Is there a bolt in exhaust available? If I just put the headers in for now and don't beat on it, will the gaskets last?

The minimum I have seen is changing out the resonator with a high flow unit.

The stock Cats are lame too. So if you got the downtubes and Cats with a good high flow resonator you could leave the rest for now. But like I said I have no experience other than what I have learned reading this board and conversations with other folks who have forgot more about these cars than I know. Check the link on the new header supplier. Lots of ideas in that thread.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16813

Check out the Supercoupe Performance website if you have not already. The stock system looks real bad... The one Bill offers is nice but spendy.

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/

Still might have to have it though.

Last edited:
Actually, I have yet to see a header that didn't require different down tubes. The Kooks medium length (the more common ones) definately require differnet downtubes. You can look at the Mac Mustang shorties which run around 250 (vs 500-700 for the Kooks). They require a slight bend in the collector on the driver's side to clear the steering shaft, not too hard. The entire exhaust setup I'm looking at will run about as much as the Kooks headers alone.

Back