tranny swap

superweasel

I was going to sell my 89 bird, but the idea you guys had about swapping in a six speed from a newer mustang interested me. I was wandering if any of you have done this swap and if so how hard was it, and what did it intail. I am fairly mechanical so a little word is not a problem. I am also thinking of turning this car into a street racer so modification to the interior or exterior is also not a problem. any help,advice, or general good wish's will be greatly appreciated

Unfortunately, so far all there has been is talk. I haven't seen or heard of anyone actually completing a T-56 swap though there are a few that have done it with a T-5 and the two are prettty similar. The challange lies in one major area, the shifter. THe M5R2 (Stock SC 5-spd trans) is longer and puts the shifter futher back than the T-56. If a fairly easy method could be figured to fix this, the rest is simple (drilling holes to accomodate the clutch hydraulics).

There was some Canadian guy who swapped in a 6 speed trans in his SC. I think his screen name was 6speedsc or something like that. Haven't seen him post in a while. Might try looking on one of the Canadian boards to see if anyone there knows who he is.

Back