supercharger question

knetik

I hate to bug you guys about a Mustang question, but I want to put the tbird charger on my 94 v6 mustang and I wanted to know what model years of tbirds' sc would fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any of the years will work, but don't waste your time doing it to the N/A Mustang. If you are going to do it buy a complete Super Coupe engine. The N/A 3.8 will not hold up to the boost. You might want to look into the Vortech and ATI kits that don't produce as much boost especially at lower RPMs. You will see that everyone will say the same thing.

Nick

interesting...I thought the engine was the same, ford just put the supercharger on it...but ok

There are many differences in the two motors. Different pistons with much lower compression ratios, Forged crank vs steel crank, different intake manifolds, distributor vs. DIS. These are just a few of the major differences.

Nick

These motors are very hard to come by in junk yards. You might want to try loking in the classified section of the forum. Or you could just buy a Super Coupe.

Nick:D

Although I do like the sc I'm kinda partial to my stang...but thank you for all your help.

You can buy a complete Super Coupe for $1500-2500 and pull the engine, supercharger, intercooler, wiring and EEC.

I think powerdyne makes a kit for the 3.8 split port Mustang that works very good. I saw one on the dyno last week making 280 rwhp after getting a custom chip burned.

David

either buy a centrifugal kit for your car or buy atleast a SC short block with ALL accessory brackets and accessories along with the blower,piping, intake etc etc(so its just easier to buy the whole engine:D ). Then swap all the electronics, exhaust manifolds etc etc from your existing vehicle to the SC engine(probably will need a chip after also).

Are the 94s split port or regular heads?(on the 94 Mustang, I think they use the Tore-azz style intake)

I went through the same thing with my 3.8 in my TB and this is what I have come up with:

Buying a SC engine from a junk yard is hard and sometimes expensive. The only one I found was out of a 94 SC longblock for $500 with a blown head gasket. It didn't even come with the supercharger.

Unless you get lucky and find a great deal, I would suggest a 4.6l DOHC(not the SOHC) out of a 93+ Lin Continental or late model Mustang. The put out 280-385HP depending on the year and model and will last a long time. The SC engine only puts out 210(89-93)-245HP(94-95) and are prone to failure. Either engine will require the transplant of the computer and wiring harness.

Good Luck!

knetik

I don't want to sound like a hawk, but I've got complete SC setup -- intercooler and everything, if you are intrested. I also have a complete SC long block too. I've got all of the eec wiring and ecm too.

Let me know if you are intreseted.
Tim
catkinson2@cinci.rr.com

Mike Combs said:

Unless you get lucky and find a great deal, I would suggest a 4.6l DOHC(not the SOHC) out of a 93+ Lin Continental or late model Mustang. The put out 280-385HP depending on the year and model and will last a long time. The SC engine only puts out 210(89-93)-245HP(94-95) and are prone to failure. Either engine will require the transplant of the computer and wiring harness.

Good Luck!

So basically forget the sc is what you are saying?

Yes, you will be paying a premium for 210 unreliable horsepower. You can find more bang for less money elsewhere.

I know that you thought that if you just put the supercharger on your stock Stang that everything would work perfectly. Not the case! I don't know if you have been following this forum, but if you have you would see that almost every SC owner on this forum has had to replace his head gaskets or has had to do another costly repair at some point. This shows that even if they are stock from the factory they still have major reliability problems.

Good Luck!

Back